Why do some people get hiccups when they touch their external auditory canal?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is experiencing hiccups when touching their external auditory canal, which they have noticed since they were 15 years old and still experience at the age of 22. They have periodic episodes of hiccups, with the most recent one occurring after cleaning their ear. They wonder if this is a normal occurrence and if anyone else experiences the same. Upon further research, they found a case where hiccups were caused by a hair tickling the eardrum. The individual then discusses the possible link between the phrenic nerve and the vagus nerve in relation to hiccups and touching the ear. They also mention a personal cure for hiccups and thank the expert for their explanation.
fluidistic
Gold Member
Sometimes when I touch my external auditory canal I get hiccup. I first noticed it when I was 15 years old. I'm now 22 years old and it is still happening. I have it periodically, meaning that I can touch my external auditory canal and not getting hiccup for months. But then it appears again, I don't know why. For instance I'm suffering from hiccup since about 20 minutes now, because I cleaned my external auditory canal. It's quite annoying!
I've once read that many people react by sneezing when their eyes are exposed to a light of big intensity. Maybe it's related to my "problem"?
I've searched on the Internet about hiccup and ear, and never found anything like I described. Is it normal at least? Do you experience the same?

Edit : I found something : from http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1113/what-are-hiccups-and-why-do-we-get-them :
A 27-year-old man complained that he'd been hiccuping for four days. The doctor looked into the guy's ear and saw a hair tickling the eardrum. The hair having been washed out, the hiccups stopped.
Strange.

Edit 2 : I'd be glad to know why it happens. The phrenic never doesn't seem to be linked to the eardrum at all.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know about hiccups, but people do somewhat commonly experience things like cough or gagging when touching the ear. Some of the cranial nerves "hitchhike" around the face, so when you stimulate the nerve in one location, sometimes you also are hitting a few fibers of a nerve that normally goes someplace else.

The phrenic nerve also has some loops shared with the vagus nerve. While the phrenic nerve is a spinal, not cranial nerve, the vagus is a cranial nerve with some branches that "hang out" near the ear. There's also a lot of individual variation in how these nerves are arranged around the face, so that accounts for why some people might experience something like hiccups when touching their ear, and others experience nothing like that.

I have used a cure for hicupps, that for myself has been completely effective after at most 3 attempts in best memory. Attempt counts have been about 2 dozen, I estimate.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I don't know about hiccups, but people do somewhat commonly experience things like cough or gagging when touching the ear. Some of the cranial nerves "hitchhike" around the face, so when you stimulate the nerve in one location, sometimes you also are hitting a few fibers of a nerve that normally goes someplace else.

The phrenic nerve also has some loops shared with the vagus nerve. While the phrenic nerve is a spinal, not cranial nerve, the vagus is a cranial nerve with some branches that "hang out" near the ear. There's also a lot of individual variation in how these nerves are arranged around the face, so that accounts for why some people might experience something like hiccups when touching their ear, and others experience nothing like that.

Very good explanation, thank you.

Glad I could help. I was hoping I wasn't oversimplifying since you did seem to know a few things about the nerves involved to be able to name the phrenic nerve.

Moonbear said:
Glad I could help. I was hoping I wasn't oversimplifying since you did seem to know a few things about the nerves involved to be able to name the phrenic nerve.
Well I learned about the phrenic nerve the same day I posted here, thanks to Internet. hehe

1. What is a hiccup?

A hiccup is a sudden, involuntary contraction of the diaphragm muscle, followed by a rapid closure of the vocal cords, resulting in a characteristic "hic" sound. It is a reflex action that can occur multiple times in a row.

2. What causes hiccups?

Hiccups can be caused by a wide range of factors, including eating or drinking too quickly, consuming carbonated beverages, sudden temperature changes, and emotional stress. In some cases, hiccups can also be a side effect of certain medications or medical conditions.

3. How long do hiccups typically last?

Most cases of hiccups last only a few minutes and resolve on their own. However, some hiccups can last for hours or even days, which may indicate an underlying medical issue. Chronic hiccups are those that last for more than two days.

4. Are hiccups harmful?

In most cases, hiccups are harmless and do not require medical attention. However, in rare cases, prolonged hiccups can lead to exhaustion, dehydration, and weight loss. Chronic hiccups may also be a sign of an underlying health problem and should be evaluated by a medical professional.

5. How can hiccups be treated?

There are several home remedies and medical treatments that can be used to relieve hiccups. These include drinking water, holding your breath, breathing into a paper bag, and taking certain medications. If hiccups persist for more than two days, it is recommended to seek medical advice for proper treatment.