How to Read a GZ File on Windows XP

• Thread starter matematikawan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, the conversation was about a large file, covtype.data.gz, being downloaded and the person not knowing how to read it. The file is a single file with the .gz extension, which is similar to zip or rar files. It was recommended to use WinRAR or 7-zip to open the file.
matematikawan
I just downloaded the file covtype.data.gz and it is quite a large file about 75Mb. But I do not know how to read the file. Please tell me what to do.:cry:

I'm using window XP and I know how to unzip dot zip or dot rar. However my computer doesn't recognized the new file format. Why it is there are two dots in the file name covtype.data.gz ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
gz is like zip or rar except that it contains only a single file "covtype.data"
winrar can probably open it, otherwise just download gzip from http://www.gzip.org/

Multiple extentions are more common in unix where '.' is just another filename character it doesn't have the special meaning as in dos. The gzip program simply puts .gz onto the end to show that it is compressed.

Thank you mgb_phys
I must go and try now.

gzipped files are easily opened with WinRAR.

I agree with the 7zip recommendation. It's free, open source, and opens just about anything (more than Winrar or Winzip).

1. How do I open a GZ file on Windows XP?

To open a GZ file on Windows XP, you will need to use a file decompression program such as WinZip or 7-Zip. These programs allow you to extract the contents of the GZ file and access the files within.

2. What program can I use to read a GZ file on Windows XP?

Any file decompression program that supports GZ files can be used to read a GZ file on Windows XP. Some popular options include WinZip, 7-Zip, and WinRAR.

3. Can I open a GZ file using the default Windows XP file extractor?

No, the default file extractor on Windows XP does not support GZ files. You will need to use a third-party file decompression program to open and extract the contents of a GZ file.

4. How do I extract a single file from a GZ file on Windows XP?

To extract a single file from a GZ file on Windows XP, you can use a file decompression program such as WinZip or 7-Zip. Simply open the GZ file and select the specific file you want to extract.

5. Are there any free programs I can use to open GZ files on Windows XP?

Yes, there are several free file decompression programs that support GZ files on Windows XP, such as 7-Zip, PeaZip, and IZArc. These programs offer similar features to paid programs and can be downloaded for free online.