Mysterious Green Meteor Sighting - Help Needed

In summary, a question is asked about a bright green meteor seen in the western sky at 10 P.M. The person is certain it was not a firework and there was no sound associated with it. It is suggested that it could have been a piece of space junk burning up on re-entry, and a Google search may provide more information. Other people have reported seeing similar meteors, including a bright green one seen at a football game. The color of a meteor can be influenced by its metal content, with copper potentially causing a green color.
Liger20
Hello, I have a question for the astronomy people here. Last night I was outside around 10 P.M, and at one point I just happened to be staring up into the western sky when I saw one of the brightest, most beautiful meteors I have ever seen. The weird thing is that it had a faint green tint to it. Does anyone have any idea as to what would cause this? I’m positive it was not a firework, it was way too high in the sky and way too bright. Plus, there was nobody in the vicinity shooting off fireworks, and there was absolutely no sound associated with it.

Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
It may have been a meteor, and it might have been one of the many thousands of pieces of space junk burning up on re-entry. There are organizations that track the space junk, and perhaps one of them could confirm that an objected de-orbited last night. Maybe a Google search would help...?

I saw a very bright green fireball
I as at a football game in the orange bowl
it was that bright to be seen over the stadium lights
and was widely reported in newspapers on the east coast in many states

I have also seen a blue one

metal content is thought to give colors

Probably a lot of copper in it.

What is a green meteor?

A green meteor is a type of meteor that appears green in color due to the presence of certain elements in its composition, such as iron, nickel, or magnesium.

Where was the mysterious green meteor sighted?

The location of the green meteor sighting can vary depending on the specific event. It could have been seen in the sky above a particular city, state, or even country.

What causes a green meteor to appear?

The green color of a meteor is caused by the presence of certain elements in its composition. When these elements heat up as the meteor enters Earth's atmosphere, they emit a green glow that is visible to the human eye.

How common are green meteor sightings?

Green meteor sightings are relatively rare compared to other colors of meteors. However, they do occur from time to time and are often reported by astronomers and amateur stargazers.

How can the public help with the mysterious green meteor sighting?

The public can help by reporting any sightings of the green meteor to local authorities or organizations that track meteor activity. They can also provide any photos or videos they may have taken of the event, which can help scientists study and understand the meteor's trajectory and composition.