Need a book on various engineering disciplines

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling to choose an engineering program at a community college and is limited by the regimented curriculum. They plan on getting a PhD and are interested in a program with heavy mathematics. They are looking for a book that describes the various disciplines and their specific requirements. One suggestion is "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot for those proficient in higher math.
Dauden
I'm a year into a 2 year community college and will be transferring to UIUC. I am having a very difficult time choosing what engineering program I should go into. Or if I even want to do engineering. The very regimented curriculum limits me from taking classes to explore my options. I basically have to decide what I want to do before I even start. By the 3rd year, they suggest you take 5 engineering classes in your specific program. That's not much to work with in terms of deciding what you want to do for the rest of your life. If it helps at all, I plan on getting a PhD in my chosen program to do research.

So, I was wondering if there was a book out there describing the various disciplines (chemical, mechanical, TAM, nuclear, EE, etc.). At this point the only thing I'm sure of is that I CANNOT get enough of mathematics. Some of the engineering programs seem to just stop taking math classes at a point. Are there any especially heavy math engineering programs? Of course, that question would be answered with the right book I suppose.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any Introductory Physics book will have all of the major disciplines in it except chemical. For chemical, see any introductory text. Unless you want to get into Organic Chemistry. What level of math are you at?

If you are proficient in higher math, then a good book with Chemical, Thermal, and Fluids is "Transport Phenomena" by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

Thanks
Matt

Currently I'm taking Calc 3 going over graphing various surfaces (saddles and the like). I've had two physics classes, mechanics and electromagnetism, which haven't really told me anything about each engineering discipline since almost every one uses these. So, I'm looking for a book detailing the specifics.

1. What is the purpose of a book on various engineering disciplines?

A book on various engineering disciplines serves as a comprehensive guide for understanding the different fields of engineering and their applications. It provides a broad overview of the principles, theories, and practices of each discipline, allowing readers to gain a better understanding of the field as a whole.

2. Who can benefit from reading a book on various engineering disciplines?

Anyone with an interest in engineering can benefit from reading a book on various engineering disciplines. This includes students, professionals, and individuals who are simply curious about the field. It can also be a useful resource for those looking to switch careers or gain a deeper understanding of a specific discipline.

3. What topics are typically covered in a book on various engineering disciplines?

A book on various engineering disciplines may cover topics such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, chemical engineering, and computer engineering. It may also touch on other subfields such as biomedical engineering, environmental engineering, and aerospace engineering.

4. How can a book on various engineering disciplines be useful for students?

For students, a book on various engineering disciplines can serve as a valuable reference for their coursework. It can also help them explore different fields and make informed decisions about their career path. Additionally, it can provide real-world examples and case studies to supplement their learning.

5. Are there any practical applications for the information in a book on various engineering disciplines?

Yes, there are many practical applications for the information presented in a book on various engineering disciplines. The knowledge gained from reading the book can be applied to real-world engineering projects and can help individuals make informed decisions in their work. It can also aid in problem-solving and critical thinking skills, which are essential in the field of engineering.