Basic Intro. Analysis Sequence Proof

In summary: If you knew xn had a limit, what would happen to your recursion formula if you let n --> oo?If you knew xn had a limit, your recursion formula would say that xn --> x. However, since xn does not have a limit, this would be false.
Newtime

Homework Statement

Suppose that x0[tex]\in[/tex] (-1,0) and xn=[tex]\sqrt{xn-1+1}[/tex] -1 for n[tex]\in[/tex]N. Prove that xn[tex]\uparrow[/tex]0 as n[tex]\rightarrow[/tex][tex]\infty[/tex].

the formatting is odd so read outloud, the function for x sub n is "x sub n equals sqrt(x sub (n-1) + 1) -1. If it is still unclear, ask and I can post an image of it typed in maple or something.

Homework Equations

There are several (many) theorems which could be applied but all of them are well known and prety trivial/obvious.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I'm having trouble with the "second" part of this. I proved by induction that the sequence is monotonically increasing but I am unable to prove that the limit is 0. I've tried directly proving it using the definition of a limit of a sequence (given [tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0, there is an n...) but am unable to do so because of the fact that this is a recursive function and not a function of n. I've also tried proving this logically by trying to show that 0=sup{xn} but again the fact that this is a recursive function inhibits this. One more note: this is problem number 1 in my text and usually (always) the problems get harder as you go along which makes me think I am missing something very trivial here. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Given that you can show all xn > 0, they are going to have a hard time converging to 0 if the sequence is increasing, eh?

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
Given that you can show all xn > 0, they are going to have a hard time converging to 0 is the sequence is increasing, eh?

Ahh looks like I mistyped it. x0 should be within (-1,0).

Well, so far you have the sequence increasing. Is it bounded above?
If so, what does that imply?

If you knew xn had a limit, what would happen to your recursion formula if you let n --> oo?

LCKurtz said:
Well, so far you have the sequence increasing. Is it bounded above?
If so, what does that imply?

If you knew xn had a limit, what would happen to your recursion formula if you let n --> oo?

My claim is that yes it is bounded above namely by 0 and this can imply a lot of things; that there exists a supremum of the set {xn}, that by the Monotone Convergence Property a finite limit exists etc. but I don't know how this helps to show not that the limit exists but that it equals zero.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by your last question...I do know the limit exists and as n goes to infinity, the elements of the sequence approach this limit.

Thank you for your quick replies.

If you know xn has a limit of x as n --> oo, what happens if you take the limit of both sides of the equality?

[tex]x_n = \sqrt{x_{n-1}+1}-1[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
If you know xn has a limit of x as n --> oo, what happens if you take the limit of both sides of the equality?

hmm...once again I'm not exactly sure what you're asking since in the problem statement we are given that xn does have a limit, namely 0. So if you take the limit of both sides of the equality

You're left with 0 on the left and some other thing on the right. But again, I'm not sure how this helps to prove that n approaches 0 in the first place. Clearly I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Thank you for the quick replies though, I have been unable to get back to the thread sooner due to massive amounts of homework in other classes.

Newtime said:
hmm...once again I'm not exactly sure what you're asking since in the problem statement we are given that xn does have a limit, namely 0. So if you take the limit of both sides of the equality

You're left with 0 on the left and some other thing on the right. But again, I'm not sure how this helps to prove that n approaches 0 in the first place. Clearly I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. Thank you for the quick replies though, I have been unable to get back to the thread sooner due to massive amounts of homework in other classes.

"You're left with 0 on the left and some other thing on the right." Really? What other thing?

Anyway, no, you weren't given that {xn} has a limit. You were asked to prove that xn --> 0. Your previous argument that {xn} is increasing and bounded above by 0 is what establishes that a limit exists: xn --> x for some limit x, but you haven't established what x is, even though the statement of the problem claims it is 0. So, once again:

If you know xn has an unknown limit of x as n --> oo, what happens if you take the limit of both sides of the equality?.
[tex]
x_n = \sqrt{x_{n-1}+1}-1
[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
"You're left with 0 on the left and some other thing on the right." Really? What other thing?

Anyway, no, you weren't given that {xn} has a limit. You were asked to prove that xn --> 0. Your previous argument that {xn} is increasing and bounded above by 0 is what establishes that a limit exists: xn --> x for some limit x, but you haven't established what x is, even though the statement of the problem claims it is 0. So, once again:

If you know xn has an unknown limit of x as n --> oo, what happens if you take the limit of both sides of the equality?.
[tex]
x_n = \sqrt{x_{n-1}+1}-1
[/tex]

I think that before reading this I was doing what you were talking about all along. Basically I took the limit of both sides of
[tex]
x_n = \sqrt{x_{n-1}+1}-1
[/tex]
assuming that a limit existed and I called it "a." In doing so, on the left we get "a=..." and on the right we get some other stuff. Now here's where I'm fairly certain I am now doing it correctly but we'll see...

So i can easily construct a subsequence of xn which converges (by a theorem in the book) to the same number a. This subsequence is xn-1. So by a little algebra (is this valid) I get that a=sqrt(a+1)-1 and then a little algebra later we get that a=0 or a=-1. It's easy to show a cannot equal -1 thus a=0 which is the limit and we're done. I guess my only question is that algebraic/limit steps I took; when taking the limit of the right side, did you do it the way I described above or was I incorrect? Or should I add one to the left side and then square both sides and take the limit of the equality then? I'll be working on this throughout the night and refreshing this page every ten minutes or so but thanks again for all the help so far.

I think you're on the right track now.

1. What is a basic introductory analysis sequence proof?

A basic introductory analysis sequence proof is a type of mathematical proof used to show that a particular statement is true. It involves breaking the statement down into smaller, more manageable pieces and using logic and reasoning to show that each piece is true, ultimately leading to the conclusion that the original statement is true.

2. What are the key steps in a basic introductory analysis sequence proof?

The key steps in a basic introductory analysis sequence proof include identifying the statement to be proven, breaking it down into smaller pieces, making assumptions about these smaller pieces, using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to show that each piece is true, and then putting all the pieces together to prove the original statement.

3. What makes a basic introductory analysis sequence proof different from other types of mathematical proofs?

A basic introductory analysis sequence proof is different from other types of mathematical proofs because it focuses on breaking a statement down into smaller pieces and using logical reasoning to prove each piece, rather than using more complex mathematical concepts or techniques.

4. How can I improve my skills in writing basic introductory analysis sequence proofs?

To improve your skills in writing basic introductory analysis sequence proofs, practice breaking statements down into smaller pieces, identifying assumptions to make about these pieces, and using logical reasoning to prove each piece. Additionally, studying examples of well-written proofs and seeking feedback from peers or instructors can also help improve your skills.

5. Can a basic introductory analysis sequence proof be used in other fields besides mathematics?

Yes, the basic introductory analysis sequence proof can be used in other fields besides mathematics. Any field that involves making logical arguments or proving statements to be true can benefit from this type of proof, such as in computer science, philosophy, and physics.