Assumptions of Drude and Sommerfeld Models: A Comparison

• Thread starter carlosvelcab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
Both the Drude and Sommerfeld models assume the existence of free electrons and the influence of the nucleus and electron-electron interactions. However, they differ in their use of statistical mechanics - Drude uses Maxwell-Boltzmann while Sommerfeld uses Fermi-Dirac. You read Ashcroft, so your conclusions are likely correct. In summary, the assumptions shared by the Drude and Sommerfeld models include the existence of free electrons and the influence of the nucleus and electron-electron interactions. However, they differ in their use of statistical mechanics, with Drude using Maxwell-Boltzmann and Sommerfeld using Fermi-Dirac.
carlosvelcab
What are assumptions on which the Drude model and the Sommerfeld model Match? and In which assumptions both differs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a homework problem? The answer should be clear from a reading of the first few chapters of a basic solid state physics text, like Ashcroft & Mermin or Kittel.

No it isn't a homework, I just want to make sure that my conclusions are right.
My answer for the matches would be: In both cases were proposed a free electron besides the importance from the potential of the nucleus, and the interaction between electrons, could be important given its proximity.
And the resulting from a collision is supposed not depend of the configuration of the electrons at the collision moment

And differs is:
That drude apply the Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics and sommerfeld applies the fermi dirac statistics to the electon conduction. Sommerfeld applies the theory of fermi dirac to the electronic velocity distribution

I read the book the ashcroft before you told me, I just want to make sure that my conclusions are right

Yeah, that sounds about right.

1. What is the Drude theory?

The Drude theory, also known as the Drude model, is a classical model that describes the behavior of electrons in a material. It was developed by Paul Drude in 1900 and is based on the idea that electrons in a material behave like a gas, constantly colliding with each other and the atoms in the material.

2. How does the Drude theory explain electrical conductivity?

The Drude theory explains electrical conductivity by stating that when an electric field is applied to a material, the electrons in the material will accelerate in the direction of the field. However, due to collisions with other electrons and atoms, the electrons will not maintain their velocity and will eventually come to rest. This constant motion and collision of electrons is what allows for the flow of electric current through a material.

3. What is the main limitation of the Drude theory?

The main limitation of the Drude theory is that it does not take into account the quantum mechanical nature of electrons. This means that it cannot fully explain phenomena such as superconductivity and the Hall effect, which are better described by more advanced theories like the Sommerfeld theory.

4. What is the Sommerfeld theory?

The Sommerfeld theory, also known as the free electron model, was developed by Arnold Sommerfeld in 1928 as an extension of the Drude theory. It incorporates quantum mechanics and more accurately describes the behavior of electrons in a material, especially at low temperatures.

5. How does the Sommerfeld theory improve upon the Drude theory?

The Sommerfeld theory improves upon the Drude theory by taking into account the quantum mechanical nature of electrons. It can explain a wider range of phenomena, including the Hall effect and superconductivity, and is more accurate at low temperatures where classical theories like the Drude model fail. It also introduces the concept of energy bands and the density of states, which are important for understanding the electronic properties of materials.