Projectile motion and kinetic energy

In summary, a .550 kg projectile is launched from the edge of a cliff with an initial kinetic energy of 1550 J and at its highest point is 140 m above the launch point. The horizontal component of its velocity is found to be 65.0 m/s at one instant during its flight. At that time, how far is it above or below the launch point?
cheybe3

Homework Statement

A .550 kg projectile is launched from the edge of a cliff with an initial kinetic energy of 1550 J and at its highest point is 140 m above the launch point.

a. What is the horizontal component of its velocity?

b. What was the vertical component of its velocity just after launch?

c. At one instant during its flight the vertical component of its velocity is found to be 65.0 m/s. At that time, how far is it above or below the launch point?

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv^2

projectile motion equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the kinetic energy equation to find an initial velocity of about 75 m/s. but now I'm not sure how to proceed...I feel like there are too many unknowns. My first approach was to try and figure out the measure of the angle of projection using various projectile motion equations knowing that the vertical component of velocity at it's highest point is zero, and that the y position is 140 m. but i kept coming up w/too many unknowns...i'm stumped! any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi cheybe3 ! Welcome to PF! :wink:
cheybe3 said:
I used the kinetic energy equation to find an initial velocity of about 75 m/s. but now I'm not sure how to proceed..

Call the angle θ, and the time to get to the highest point t, and write out equations for the x and y components (separately): that should enbable you to elminate t and to find θ.

Show us how far you get. :smile:

but i don't know x so wouldn't the equation for the x component then contain 3 unknowns...the x component, the angle theta, and the time?

oops! i misread the question :redface:

you don't need an x equation at all …

just use the y component of velocity, and find what it has to be if the highest point is 140m. :smile:

Think about the projectile's velocity at the top of its trajectory and finding its kinetic energy at that point.

the only equations we've gone over for deriving the x/y components of velocity require us to know the measure of angle theta, or the time...i still seem to be having trouble with too many unknowns.

Just think of energy conservation. What is the potential energy at the top of trajectory with respect to the launch point? What is the kinetic energy there? What is the direction of the velocity at the top of the trajectory?

ehild

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or other medium under the influence of gravity. It is characterized by a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

How is kinetic energy related to projectile motion?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In projectile motion, the kinetic energy of the object changes as it moves through the air due to changes in its velocity and height.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the air resistance, and the force of gravity. These factors determine the shape and height of the projectile's path.

Why does a projectile's kinetic energy decrease as it reaches the peak of its trajectory?

When a projectile reaches the highest point of its trajectory, its vertical velocity becomes zero. This means that it is no longer moving in the vertical direction and thus has no kinetic energy in that direction. However, it still has kinetic energy in the horizontal direction due to its initial velocity.

How can we calculate the kinetic energy of a projectile at any given point during its motion?

The kinetic energy of a projectile can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity at that point. This formula can be used to calculate the kinetic energy at any point during the projectile's motion.