Simple Algebra question about division/prime factorizations

• Thread starter missavvy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the remainder of 7^(211) is the same as the remainder of 5 x 7^(209). You can just break it down and achieve the answer by continuing until you reach a number less than 11.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Find the remainder of the division of 7^211 by 11

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is an extremely trivial question, but I just don't understand what to do.
I've searched my textbook for an example, and I could of sworn I had one in my notes, but I really don't know how to do this! :S
7^211 = 11q + r, right?

but then what? or do i write the prime factorizations of 211... of 7? of 11?

if anyone can just help me with the method, or redirect me to a website with great notes.. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Fermat's Little Theorem, work modulo 11, and write 211 as 11x+y, for some integers x, y.

Have you learned modular arithmetic? If you haven't, its basically something that allows you to throw away the parts of a number with a factor and leave you with a remainder. But since you don't know about it I'll explain it this way:

I can split up the exponent in [itex]7^{211}[/itex] for eg like this [itex] 7^2 X 7^{209}= 49 X 7^{209}[/itex]. Now 49 is an easy number to deal with, and we see that 11 goes into it 4 times, and that 49 = 4(11) + 5. So now we can expland the original thing;

[tex]7^{211} = 7^2 x 7^{209} = (44 + 5) 7^{209} = 44X 7^{209} + 5X7^{209}[/tex]

Now, since we are only interested in the remainder when divided by 11, rather than how many times exactly, we any drop off any multiplies of 11 we see, and we just created one, namely the 44* 7^(209) term.

So the remainder of 7^(211) is the same as the remainder of 5 x 7^(209). In effect, you can just broken it down, and the answer can be achieved by continuing until you reach a number less than 11, but it will be long if you just keep taking off the small amount like I did.

So see if you can find some clever way to do a lot of those breaking ups in one go, perhaps by trying a few small break ups yourself if you can't see it straight away.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see your post VeeEight! I'll leave mine up here in case the OP doesn't know mod arithmetic.

ah, thanks VeeEight!
i guess my prof skipped fermat's in our notes.
Thank you Gib Z! :)

1. What is division in algebra?

In algebra, division is a mathematical operation where the dividend (the number being divided) is separated into equal parts, called quotients, by the divisor (the number used to divide). The result of division is called the quotient.

2. How do you divide algebraic expressions?

To divide algebraic expressions, you can use the rules of exponents and the distributive property. First, factor out any common terms and then divide each term by the divisor. Remember to simplify the resulting expression by combining like terms.

3. What is a prime factorization in algebra?

A prime factorization in algebra is a way of expressing a number or algebraic expression as a product of its prime factors. This means breaking down a number or expression into its smallest factors that are prime numbers. For example, the prime factorization of 12 is 2 x 2 x 3.

4. How do you find the prime factorization of an algebraic expression?

To find the prime factorization of an algebraic expression, you can use the process of factorization. Start by finding the greatest common factor (GCF) of the expression and then continue factoring until all factors are prime. This can be done using the distributive property and the rules of exponents.

5. Why is knowing prime factorization important in algebra?

Knowing prime factorization is important in algebra because it allows us to simplify expressions, find common factors, and solve equations. It also helps us understand the relationship between numbers and identify patterns in algebraic expressions. Prime factorization is also used in various mathematical concepts such as finding the greatest common factor and simplifying fractions.