Equations to describe physical systems

In summary, if you are considering modeling as a way to make some extra money, it is important to have professional photos, a well-written bio, and to meet with reputable modeling agencies. However, the pay is often low and the process can be complicated and time-consuming. It is not recommended to sign with an agency that requires payment for classes.
Topher925
No, I don't mean the kind where you use equations to describe physical systems, I mean the kind where they take your picture. People have often told me that I could be a model if I wanted to be and probably make good money doing it. The whole idea of doing any kind of modeling repulses me but I was thinking it might be a good way to make a little bit of cash on the side since I'm a PhD student (and will be for a while) and get paid in peanuts.

So, I figured I would at least entertain myself with the idea a little bit but have no clue on how this whole thing works. Does one just send pictures of themselves to an agency and people decide if your pretty enough or something? This probably isn't the best place to ask but would anyone here know how to find out if anyone would want someone such as myself as model?

Physics news on Phys.org

I thought this thread would be about modeling complicated systems :(

1: You go to a modelling agency.
2: They either accept or break your confidence.

Point is though, pick the right one that targets the right people, taste is subjective and more based on 'types' than what you might think. Take Donnie Darko as a crude example, most girls would probably not find him attractive, dead eyes, clearly doesn't sleep enough, however all the girls that enjoy that film say he's cute, an opinion I share (I liked the film too).

1) Have a half-way competent photographer take your picture wearing various types of outfits. Ex: a sportswear look, a business look, etc. And a decent head shot.

2) Have the photos printed in 8 x 10 format

3) Write up a brief bio of yourself including phone numbers where you can be reached, times you are available for work, if you have any previous credits (I'm assuming not or you'd already have a portfolio and comp card). And when I say "write it up" I mean type it on the computer and then print it on nice paper. Not coloured paper, just quality stock paper.

4) Make appointments with various local reputable modelling agencies

5) Make yourself look nice and presentable

6) Show up and hand over the pictures (to show how lovely and photogenic you are) along with your "resume-type" sheet and talk to the nice-nice person who is either going to think you can make money for them or tell you you're a total loser. Or something in between, like how to improve your photos or update your look or whatever. Be prepared for any sort of response.

Good luck.

P.S. Don't sign with anyone who wants to make you pay for classes with them first.

Edited to add: Stop getting paid in peanuts. Landlords don't like peanuts.

GeorginaS said:
1) Have a half-way competent photographer take your picture wearing various types of outfits. Ex: a sportswear look, a business look, etc. And a decent head shot.

2) Have the photos printed in 8 x 10 format

3) Write up a brief bio of yourself including phone numbers where you can be reached, times you are available for work, if you have any previous credits (I'm assuming not or you'd already have a portfolio and comp card). And when I say "write it up" I mean type it on the computer and then print it on nice paper. Not coloured paper, just quality stock paper.

4) Make appointments with various local reputable modelling agencies

5) Make yourself look nice and presentable

6) Show up and hand over the pictures (to show how lovely and photogenic you are) along with your "resume-type" sheet and talk to the nice-nice person who is either going to think you can make money for them or tell you you're a total loser. Or something in between, like how to improve your photos or update your look or whatever. Be prepared for any sort of response.

Good luck.

P.S. Don't sign with anyone who wants to make you pay for classes with them first.

Edited to add: Stop getting paid in peanuts. Landlords don't like peanuts.

Wow, that sounds really complicated. Where would I find a half-way decent photographer? Usually hiring a professional photographer is expensive, I wouldn't want to pay several hundred bucks to have my picture taken just so people can shoot me down.

I kinda like Kajahtava method but I guess that would be less likely to give me any kind of job.

I know I would at least catch one person with the title. :tongue:

Topher925 said:
I kinda like Kajahtava method but I guess that would be less likely to give me any kind of job.
That explains a lot of my jobless nature. I guess merging my CV and profile page and introducing it with a completely inappropriate quote from my sister that can ambiguously be seen as incestuous also helps to further distance myself from any commercially viable life.

Of course, it could also be because I suck.

I know I would at least catch one person with the title. :tongue:
I thought it was what you intended simply because of the forum it was posted in, elementary, dear Watson.

There isn't much money in modeling, unless you are a super model or don't have any real job.

Not only you have to have an agent, but at first you are expected to do shoots and runway shows for free (if you're lucky you get the pictures for free), until you get paid something like $250 for a day with 15 work hours (before tax and the agents cut). Even if you get paid $500 for a day, you have to show up to the audition, fitting, rehearsal, and the actual show (often with full makeup and hair done), and after the agents cut and paying for gas you get maybe $10 for each hour that you put into the whole thing. It also depends where you live, LA or NY or New Mexico is a lot better than Kansas, I imagine.

Next thing is that auditions are during weekdays in the middle of the day, as well as a lot of the jobs you might get. It seems that no one works on the weekdays in that industry. And a two day notice or even less is very common. So unless you are super flexible with your time (are you teaching?) that could be an issue.

Try maybe model mayhem first, if they accept you and look interesting enough you might find a photographer who does a shoot for free, or at least you can ask them in the forum about further stuff. I hear it is hit or miss with that site though.

I don't want to destroy any aspirations you may have, but I think you really need to be passionate about modeling.

Last edited:

Topher925 said:
Wow, that sounds really complicated. Where would I find a half-way decent photographer? Usually hiring a professional photographer is expensive, I wouldn't want to pay several hundred bucks to have my picture taken just so people can shoot me down.

My roommate is trying to get into the modeling industry and is now "auditioning" for different companies. She started by contacting a modeling agency that offers classes on appearance, dressing, manners, etc. Those classes had low requirements for admission; all they asked for to determine eligibility was a photo. I just snapped a photo of her beside the beach and she got in, even though the photo was in no way professional-looking. As I understand it, you get access to plenty of photos taken by professionals once enrolled in the class.

Amanheis said:
There isn't much money in modeling, unless you are a super model or don't have any real job.

Not only you have to have an agent, but at first you are expected to do shoots and runway shows for free (if you're lucky you get the pictures for free), until you get paid something like $250 for a day with 15 work hours (before tax and the agents cut). Even if you get paid $500 for a day, you have to show up to the audition, fitting, rehearsal, and the actual show (often with full makeup and hair done), and after the agents cut and paying for gas you get maybe $10 for each hour that you put into the whole thing. It also depends where you live, LA or NY or New Mexico is a lot better than Kansas, I imagine.

Next thing is that auditions are during weekdays in the middle of the day, as well as a lot of the jobs you might get. It seems that no one works on the weekdays in that industry. And a two day notice or even less is very common. So unless you are super flexible with your time (are you teaching?) that could be an issue.

Try maybe model mayhem first, if they accept you and look interesting enough you might find a photographer who does a shoot for free, or at least you can ask them in the forum about further stuff. I hear it is hit or miss with that site though.

I don't want to destroy any aspirations you may have, but I think you really need to be passionate about modeling.
I've always wondered, what exactly does an agent do?

I mean, it's similar to manager I suppose, and you see a lot of times that people that start a band basically get one of their friends or uncles to manage them. Who's usually not trained that much, can't they do it themselves then? Are there any industry secrets for being one?

Also, the OP wasn't really that passionate it seems, was more looking for some extra easy money. Maybe prostitution is the way to go then.

ideasrule said:
My roommate is trying to get into the modeling industry and is now "auditioning" for different companies. She started by contacting a modeling agency that offers classes on appearance, dressing, manners, etc. Those classes had low requirements for admission; all they asked for to determine eligibility was a photo. I just snapped a photo of her beside the beach and she got in, even though the photo was in no way professional-looking. As I understand it, you get access to plenty of photos taken by professionals once enrolled in the class.

Generally -- not all, but generally -- the modelling agencies that want to sell you classes are in the job of selling classes and not in the job of getting you work as a model. If your roommate goes for it, she'll likely find herself in classes with people who don't have a snowball's chance in ever doing any modelling work. However, they will teach your roommate posture and how to walk properly and how work in front of a camera.

And Amanheis has good advice. It's not a part-time job unless you luck into some plumb situations.

I hear there is a girl named Deb who does some freakin sweet shots. She did my Uncle Rico.

Topher925 said:
So, I figured I would at least entertain myself with the idea a little bit but have no clue on how this whole thing works. Does one just send pictures of themselves to an agency and people decide if your pretty enough or something? This probably isn't the best place to ask but would anyone here know how to find out if anyone would want someone such as myself as model?
I tell you what to do:eek::)
1. You take some nice pictures of yourself
2. You post them in PF and if PF sisterhood approve them you go through the steps mentioned by GeorginaS!
:tongue2:

rootX said:

I thought the same thing but I was hopeful it'd be about modeling job!:biggrin:

Topher925 said:
Wow, that sounds really complicated. Where would I find a half-way decent photographer?

There are plenty of websites that "pair up" people who want to get into modelling and people who are interested in photography (or even want so become professional photographers). The deal is basically that you get to use the photos when contacting agencies etc, and they get to use them in their portfolios; meaning you don't have to pay anything. There are quite a few amateur photographers out there with good equipment (proper flash setups etc) and some of them even knows how to use it
I've seen some really good work that was done that way, but I've also seen some not-so-good examples. But it is almost certainly better than asking a friend to take a picture using a compact camera.

Also, I guess I don't have to say this but... be very, very careful. Never go to a shoot alone (bring a couple of friends) etc. Also, make sure you agree BEFORE the shoot what kind of photos you want.

I had a friend in college that modeled. She was a bit on the short side, curvy, and cute, but not your typical fashion model. She worked as a "sportswear model" as she explained to me, for places that want to show their outdoor apparel being worn by real people. There are all kinds of niches in modeling, and she got extra money during college for her work. Manufacturers/retailers of sportswear are quite organized, so there were no "show up tomorrow at 7" type calls. When they had some new lines of clothing to market, they were quite organized about it.

As for photos, you may be able to get some decent shots from a friend with pro-sumer camera gear. For men, I often used some dramatic lighting with shadows. For women, I generally used much softer lighting (at least two light-boxes, with perhaps a backlight to accentuate their hair). Also, I worked at a fair distance, using fast 135-150mm lenses (35mm format) to minimize distortion of facial features and optimize the depth of field. If you have a photographer friend that understands how portraiture works, you might not have to shell out big bucks. Just get some shots transferred to disk, head to the big-box photo kiosk and get some prints made. Good luck.

Kajahtava said:
I've always wondered, what exactly does an agent do?

I mean, it's similar to manager I suppose, and you see a lot of times that people that start a band basically get one of their friends or uncles to manage them. Who's usually not trained that much, can't they do it themselves then? Are there any industry secrets for being one?

Also, the OP wasn't really that passionate it seems, was more looking for some extra easy money. Maybe prostitution is the way to go then.
Well, if a photographer needs a model, he or she is going to contact a model agency. They have a catalog and the photographer picks some models for an audition. Same thing if a production company needs actors, extras or stand-ins for a commercial, a tv-show, or a movie. The agent then contacts possible candidates and tells them to go to the audition and is supposed to negotiate the rates.

There are a lot of modeling specialties. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Amanheis said:
Well, if a photographer needs a model, he or she is going to contact a model agency. They have a catalog and the photographer picks some models for an audition. Same thing if a production company needs actors, extras or stand-ins for a commercial, a tv-show, or a movie. The agent then contacts possible candidates and tells them to go to the audition and is supposed to negotiate the rates.
Is there a particular reason you can't do that yourself?

Lisa! said:
I tell you what to do:eek::)
1. You take some nice pictures of yourself
2. You post them in PF and if PF sisterhood approve them you go through the steps mentioned by GeorginaS!
:tongue2:

There is a (bad) picture of me floating around in the PF Members Photo thread that I took when I just woke up one morning. I'll post a better one if I have time later tonight. I'd rather get shot down on PF rather than spending the time and money to get shot down by an agency.

I had a friend in college that modeled. She was a bit on the short side, curvy, and cute, but not your typical fashion model. She worked as a "sportswear model" as she explained to me, for places that want to show their outdoor apparel being worn by real people. There are all kinds of niches in modeling, and she got extra money during college for her work. Manufacturers/retailers of sportswear are quite organized, so there were no "show up tomorrow at 7" type calls. When they had some new lines of clothing to market, they were quite organized about it.

This is ideally what I'm looking for. Just to find some niche or something and make a little bit of cash on the side. Contacting several agencies and trying to sell myself as a model just sounds like way to much work for it to be worth the extra cash.

EDIT: Found the pic

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/43715/2151322580056081071S600x600Q85.jpg

Are you part Asian?

Kajahtava said:
Is there a particular reason you can't do that yourself?

The agency knows what's going on in the business and is pulling professional jobs for you. I'm sure you can just reply to ads on craigslist, so yeah, you can do that yourself, but then don't be surprised if the pay sucks or the dude is a total creep. On the other hand, reputable film crews (like the one from "gamer") recruit their extras also on craigslist.

Amanheis said:
The agency knows what's going on in the business and is pulling professional jobs for you. I'm sure you can just reply to ads on craigslist, so yeah, you can do that yourself, but then don't be surprised if the pay sucks or the dude is a total creep. On the other hand, reputable film crews (like the one from "gamer") recruit their extras also on craigslist.
Well, I've seen completely unqualified people being agents.

What education does one follow for it?

Topher925 said:
This is ideally what I'm looking for. Just to find some niche or something and make a little bit of cash on the side.
You know, tutoring and test prep pay much better for far less work. My brother's also making decent money working for the census, and the hours are just as flexible.

I'll throw in my vote for a mathematical modeling thread, if I can figure out where to stick it.

I'd rather get shot down on PF rather than spending the time and money to get shot down by an agency.
You look reasonably attractive. Do you have the height/build modeling agencies usually want?

Topher, you could totally be a model. You have a great bone structure! And well, quite frankly... you are very nice looking! Post more pics, doing the average modeling poses...

mcknia07 said:
Topher, you could totally be a model. You have a great bone structure! And well, quite frankly... you are very nice looking! Post more pics, doing the average modeling poses...
Now, don't throw yourself at him too hard. Less than a hockey-check would be nice. :rofl: Honestly, if Topher was within driving distance and wanted to make the trek with changes of clothing, etc, I'd be willing to set him up with a digital portfolio.

When I shot one of my nieces' senior class pictures, the people in the photo store (who knew me well) were asking "who IS that?" I offered to build her a portfolio for free using my medium-format Bronicas - she would only have to pay for printing. She declined because she didn't want to go into modeling. She moved to CA, established residency, and bartended, working her way through college to become a dental hygienist. Soon after she got out there, though, some scout/producer locked onto her and gave her the lead spot in a SuperBowl ad that Chevy did, called "real cars for real people". Huge smile, huge mane of naturally curly hair, and ice-blue eyes...still I couldn't interest her in a free portfolio of negatives and slides. She's better off in the long run, making regular money in the dental field, but periodic side-lines into modeling might have been lucrative. She got regular royalty checks for at least a year out of that ad that premiered on the SB.

turbo-1 said:
Now, don't throw yourself at him too hard. Less than a hockey-check would be nice. :rofl: Honestly, if Topher was within driving distance and wanted to make the trek with changes of clothing, etc, I'd be willing to set him up with a digital portfolio.

Well, why can't I? lol Not like he doesn't get it all the time anyhow... I mean right?? :wink:

mcknia07 said:
Well, why can't I? lol Not like he doesn't get it all the time anyhow... I mean right?? :wink:
You're probably right. He's got just enough of a "bad-boy" look going...

turbo-1 said:
You're probably right. He's got just enough of a "bad-boy" look going...

Exactly. *motions for Topher to come closer*

story645 said:
You know, tutoring and test prep pay much better for far less work. My brother's also making decent money working for the census, and the hours are just as flexible.

Really? But my school offers tutoring for free and the people I know who do tutor only make around $7 an hour. I get paid more than that when I worked at Wendy's.

You look reasonably attractive. Do you have the height/build modeling agencies usually want?

I guess? I'm 5' 11" and about 165lbs. I used to work out a lot but not so much right now.

She's better off in the long run, making regular money in the dental field, but periodic side-lines into modeling might have been lucrative.

Thats exactly what I want, just a little bit of cash on the sidelines. I know a couple that have done modeling on the side while going to school and they told me they often got payed a couple hundred bucks for half a days work. Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Exactly. *motions for Topher to come closer*

mcknia, feel free to hockey check me as hard as you want, I won't mind! :tongue2:

I'll try and post a couple shots maybe tomorrow or friday, as soon as I get some time.

MotoH said:
Are you part Asian?

Looks like some Europeans share similarities between Asians. ...
http://http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00228/maria_mena_spellema_228496m.jpg [Broken]

http://pub.tv2.no/multimedia/na/archive/00228/maria_mena_spellema_228496m.jpg [Broken]

or ..
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/5379054/Maria+Mena.jpg
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/5379054/Maria+Mena.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Topher925 said:
Really? But my school offers tutoring for free and the people I know who do tutor only make around $7 an hour. I get paid more than that when I worked at Wendy's.
*shrugs* I make $10/hr working at school, but my friend starts at around $20-$30/hr and scales up doing private tutoring and makes $50-$150/hr teaching kaplan courses.

Topher925 said:
mcknia, feel free to hockey check me as hard as you want, I won't mind! :tongue2:

I'll try and post a couple shots maybe tomorrow or friday, as soon as I get some time.

I can hardly wait! :!)

ideasrule said:
I just snapped a photo of her beside the beach and she got in, even though the photo was in no way professional-looking.
You probably could have snapped a picture of a turd for the same effect. The picture is only used to give the impression of exclusivity, as in "wooo I'm so attractive, I made it!". As a friend, the best thing you can do is to see to it that she doesn't get scammed out of too much money before she realizes the whole thing is going nowhere.

story645 said:
*shrugs* I make $10/hr working at school, but my friend starts at around $20-$30/hr and scales up doing private tutoring and makes $50-$150/hr teaching kaplan courses.

Unfortunately, around here tutors are a dime a dozen. There's postings all around campus and in the newspaper for them all the time not to mention free tutoring from the academic skills centers.

Anyway...I haven't had the opportunity to take any "model shots" but I finally got some free time to take some "my space" pics. I'm leaving the country for a couple months in May but when I get back I might get some professional photo's taken and just see what happens. I suppose I should start getting more than 3 hours of sleep a night too so I don't look like a zombie all the time.

http://inlinethumb35.webshots.com/31266/2694323180056081071S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/46620/2498450870056081071S600x600Q85.jpg

You have a shockingly strong resemblance to Leonardo DiCaprio. Best of luck to you in your modeling endeavors!

WOOT! Cute Topher. Yeah, you could get a portpholio together. Just remember that you are up against 10's of thousands of other hopefuls, so don't let it get you down if you aren't chosen.

1. What are equations used for in describing physical systems?

Equations are used to mathematically represent the relationships between different physical quantities in a system. They help us understand and predict how the system will behave under different conditions.

2. What types of physical systems can be described using equations?

Equations can be used to describe a wide range of physical systems, including mechanical systems (such as motion and forces), electrical systems (such as circuits and currents), and thermodynamic systems (such as heat and energy transfer).

3. How are equations developed to describe a physical system?

Equations are developed through a combination of experimentation, observation, and mathematical analysis. Scientists and engineers use data and observations from experiments to identify patterns and relationships, and then use mathematical principles and formulas to create equations that accurately describe the system.

4. Can equations accurately predict the behavior of a physical system?

In most cases, equations can provide accurate predictions of a physical system's behavior. However, there are some factors that can affect the accuracy of predictions, such as external influences and limitations of the equations themselves. It is important to constantly test and refine equations to improve their accuracy.

5. How do equations help us understand and improve physical systems?

Equations allow us to analyze and manipulate different variables in a system to better understand its behavior. By using equations, we can also identify areas for improvement and make changes to optimize the system's performance. This is especially useful in engineering and technology, where equations are used to design and improve various systems and devices.