Solving Rigid Body Dynamics: Find Tension in Cable A

In summary: Your Name] In summary, the person is trying to find the tension in cable A after cord B is cut. They have used moments and the equation F=ma, but there are some errors in their approach. They need to consider all the forces acting on the object when taking moments about point A, and they need to use the equation F=ma to find the acceleration of the object before solving for the tension in cable A. The final answer is T=23.5 N.
pconn5
Not really sure if this is where this should be but oh well.

1. Homework Statement
683.jpg

It is given that:

b = 200 mm
mass = 6 kg

Find the tension in cable A immediately after cord B is cut.

2. Homework Equations
Moment = I*alpha + m*a*d
F = ma?

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I tried to do
Moment about A = I*alpha (second part is zero?) , so 9.81*6*.1 = 1/6*6*2*.2^2*alpha

I then solved for alpha.

And plugged it into:
Moment about G(center) = I*alpha, but this is wrong and I don't really understand why to be honest with you. It trips me up when the forces are not perpendicular to the center for some reason.

The final answer is T = 23.5 N.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. I understand that you are trying to find the tension in cable A after cord B is cut. Your approach of using moments and the equation F=ma is a good start. However, there are a few things that you can improve on to get the correct answer.

Firstly, when you are taking moments about point A, you need to consider all the forces acting on the object. In this case, you have the weight of the object (6 kg) acting downwards and the tension in cable A acting upwards. So your equation should be:

Moment about A = I*alpha = (6 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(0.1 m) - T(0.2 m)

where T is the tension in cable A. This is because the moment due to a force is equal to the force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from the point to the line of action of the force.

Next, you correctly solved for alpha using the equation Moment about A = I*alpha. However, when you substitute this value for alpha into the equation Moment about G = I*alpha, you are not considering the forces acting on the object. You need to use the equation F=ma to find the acceleration of the object, and then use that in the equation Moment about G = I*alpha to solve for the tension in cable A.

So your final set of equations should be:

(6 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)(0.1 m) - T(0.2 m) = (1/6)(6 kg)(0.2 m)^2 * alpha

T = (6 kg)(0.1 m)(alpha)

Using the equation F=ma, you can find the acceleration alpha, and then substitute that back into the second equation to solve for T.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

1. How do I calculate the tension in cable A in rigid body dynamics?

To calculate the tension in cable A, you need to first identify all the forces acting on the rigid body. Then, you can use Newton's second law (ΣF = ma) to set up equations and solve for the tension in cable A. It is important to consider the direction and magnitude of each force and to use vector addition to find the net force.

2. What information do I need to know in order to solve for the tension in cable A?

In order to solve for the tension in cable A, you need to know the mass and acceleration of the rigid body, as well as the forces acting on it. This may include gravitational force, normal force, and any other external forces. It is also helpful to know the geometry and dimensions of the system to determine the angles and distances involved.

3. Is there a specific formula or equation for finding the tension in cable A?

There is no one specific formula for finding the tension in cable A, as it depends on the specific scenario and forces involved. However, you can use equations such as ΣF = ma, F = mg, and trigonometric functions to calculate the tension in cable A.

4. Can I solve for the tension in cable A without knowing the mass of the rigid body?

In most cases, it is not possible to solve for the tension in cable A without knowing the mass of the rigid body. This is because the mass is a crucial component in calculating the acceleration of the body, which is necessary for using Newton's second law and solving for the tension in cable A. However, if the mass is not given, you may be able to use other information, such as the weight or density of the object, to estimate the mass.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for the tension in cable A?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for the tension in cable A include forgetting to consider all the forces acting on the rigid body, miscalculating the angles or components of the forces, and not using proper units. It is also important to double-check your work and make sure your calculations make sense in the context of the problem. Additionally, pay attention to the direction of the tension in cable A, as it may be in the opposite direction of what you initially thought.