Designing the Perfect Egg Drop Project for Physics Class

In summary, when choosing materials for your egg drop project, consider weight, strength, and shock-absorbing capabilities. The best design is one that provides a cushioning effect, and the optimal height can be calculated using h = √(2d/g). Safety measures should be taken, and to make the project more challenging, add constraints or increase height/angle of the drop.
Midas.
So we have an egg drop project due at the end of the semester for my introductory physics class. We're dropping it from the second story, which is about 3 meters down I believe. The materials we are given are 20 drinking straws, 30 cm of tape, and 1 8x11 piece of paper that we can cut/fold and do whatever we want with.

So my question is what design would be best for the success of thiis project? All help appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

1. How do I choose the best materials for my egg drop project?

When choosing materials for your egg drop project, you want to consider the weight, strength, and shock-absorbing capabilities of each material. Some commonly used materials include bubble wrap, cotton balls, and foam. You may also want to test and compare different materials to see which one works best for your project.

2. What is the best design for a successful egg drop project?

The best design for an egg drop project is one that provides a cushioning effect to protect the egg from impact. This can include using multiple layers of materials, creating a crumple zone, or using a parachute to slow down the fall. It is also important to make sure the egg is securely fastened to the design to prevent it from bouncing around during the drop.

3. How can I calculate the optimal height for my egg drop project?

The optimal height for an egg drop project can be calculated by using the equation h = √(2d/g), where h is the height, d is the distance between the drop point and the ground, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This equation can help you determine the ideal height for your project to achieve the desired impact force for testing.

4. What safety measures should I take when conducting an egg drop project?

Safety should always be a top priority when conducting an egg drop project. Be sure to wear protective gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, and work in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to have adult supervision and to follow all instructions carefully to avoid any accidents.

5. How can I make my egg drop project more challenging?

If you want to make your egg drop project more challenging, you can try adding constraints or limitations, such as using only a certain type of materials or reducing the weight limit. You can also increase the height or change the angle of the drop to make it more difficult. Additionally, you can add multiple eggs and see which one survives the best or increase the number of trials to test the reliability of your design.