Quantum Chemistry/Mechanics Graduate Study

In summary, the speaker is a chemical engineering student who has found a new interest in quantum mechanics and is considering pursuing a master's degree in the subject. They are unsure if this program is offered at most colleges and if their current undergraduate degree in chemical engineering would be sufficient for enrollment. Another speaker suggests that a degree in physical chemistry may be more appropriate for this interest and that a chemical engineering degree would still allow for enrollment with some additional courses possibly required.
physstudent1
Hi all,

I've been studying chemical engineering for three years now and will be entering my senior and final year next year. This year I found my quantum chemistry/mechanics course very interesting and enjoyable. I also found that I'm pretty good at it. I feel like I might be more interested in quantum mechanics than engineering. I was just wondering if there is a masters in quantum mechanics offered at most colleges. The other thing I want to know is what kind of undergraduate degree I would need I don't really know much about graduate school or how it works. Would I be able to enroll in a masters program with a chemical engineering degree or would they want something more geared toward just chem. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
it wouldn't be called a "masters in quantum mechanics"

more like, physical chemistry.

and yes, a degree in chemical engineering would allow you to enroll in a physical chem program. they might make you take a few remedial courses, but you're not that badly off.

1. What is the difference between quantum chemistry and quantum mechanics?

Quantum chemistry is a branch of chemistry that focuses on the application of quantum mechanics to study the behavior and properties of atoms and molecules. On the other hand, quantum mechanics is a fundamental theory of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles.

2. What are the main areas of research in quantum chemistry/mechanics?

The main areas of research in quantum chemistry/mechanics include electronic structure calculations, molecular dynamics simulations, spectroscopy, and chemical reaction mechanisms. Other areas of interest include quantum computing, quantum information theory, and quantum materials.

3. What are the career opportunities for graduates with a degree in quantum chemistry/mechanics?

Graduates with a degree in quantum chemistry/mechanics can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and industries such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and energy. They can also work in fields related to computational chemistry, data science, and artificial intelligence.

4. What are the necessary skills for a successful career in quantum chemistry/mechanics?

A successful career in quantum chemistry/mechanics requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and chemistry. In addition, proficiency in programming languages, data analysis, and problem-solving skills are essential. Excellent communication and collaboration skills are also important for working in research teams.

5. Is a graduate degree in quantum chemistry/mechanics necessary for a career in this field?

While a graduate degree in quantum chemistry/mechanics is not always required for entry-level positions, it is highly recommended for those seeking advanced research positions and academic careers. A graduate degree provides students with the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge to excel in this field and opens up more opportunities for career advancement.