Proving Two-to-One Function Not Continuous

• Thread starter dmuthuk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the statement being proven is that if a function f has the property that each element in its image is mapped to by exactly two distinct points in the domain, then f is not continuous. Two approaches were considered, one using the intermediate value theorem and the other using the fixed point theorem. The suggestion is to divide [a,b] into two intervals based on the two-to-one property of f, and use the fact that there are exactly two points mapping to each element in the image to show that these intervals must meet at a single point, proving that f is not continuous.
dmuthuk
Hi, I've been trying to prove this statement for a while now but haven't made much progress:

Suppose [tex]f:[a,b]\to\mathbb{R}[/tex] has the property that for each [tex]y[/tex] in the image of [tex]f[/tex], there are EXACTLY two distinct points [tex]x_1,x_2\in [a,b][/tex] that map to it. Then, [tex]f[/tex] is not continuous.

Well, I considered two approaches. I figure it has to do with the intermediate value theorem somehow, but I could be wrong. The argument that I'm hoping would do the trick goes as follows and it is a proof by contradiction approach:

We shall assume that [tex]f[/tex] is continuous. Construct a function [tex]g:[a,b]\to[a,b][/tex] as follows. Each [tex]x\in [a,b][/tex] has a unique partner [tex]x'\in[a,b][/tex] such that [tex]f(x)=f(x')[/tex] via the two-to-one property of [tex]f[/tex]. So, we can have [tex]g:x\mapsto x' [/tex] and [tex]g[/tex] is also bijective. Now, here's the problem. I have an instict that [tex]g[/tex] is continuous because of [tex]f[/tex] but I don't know how to prove it. If this is indeed true, then we're done because of the fixed point theorem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks:)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suggestion: [a,b] can be divided into two intervals L and U as follows. For each pair (x1,x2) that have the same image and x1 < x2, put x1 in L and x2 in U. I suspect all points in L are then < all points in U (you will need to use the fact that there are exactly two points going into the image). Since they must make up the entire interval [a,b], L and U will meet at some point x. There will be no other point x' such that f(x)=f(x').

1. What is a two-to-one function?

A two-to-one function is a type of mathematical function where each output value corresponds to exactly two input values. This means that for every unique output, there are two different inputs that can produce it.

2. How do you prove that a two-to-one function is not continuous?

To prove that a two-to-one function is not continuous, you need to show that there exists a point in its domain where the limit from the left does not equal the limit from the right. This can be done by finding a point where the function is not defined or where the left and right limits approach different values.

3. Can a two-to-one function be continuous?

Yes, a two-to-one function can be continuous. This happens when the function is defined and has equal left and right limits at every point in its domain.

4. What is the difference between a continuous and a discontinuous two-to-one function?

A continuous two-to-one function has equal left and right limits at every point in its domain, while a discontinuous two-to-one function has at least one point where the left and right limits are not equal.

5. Why is proving that a two-to-one function is not continuous important?

Proving that a two-to-one function is not continuous is important because it helps to understand the behavior of the function and identify any potential issues or limitations. It also allows for the creation of more accurate mathematical models and predictions.