Please take a look at this small description calculus help

• Thread starter khanna203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the Riemann Integral is a way to find the exact area under a curve by using infinitely small rectangles and taking the limit as the number of rectangles approaches infinity. This is known as a Riemann sum. The integral is defined as the limit of these Riemann sums and represents the area under the curve. Additionally, the intervals used do not have to be of equal length.
khanna203
i have to describe the construction of the Riemann Integral... in 4-6 sentences.. and i was wondering.. if this is right.. and explains what the question is asking

In order to understand how the Riemann Integral is, we have to understand how area under a curve is taken from a graph. Given n amount of rectangles, the approximated area would simply be Σf(xi)Δx, Δx being the widths and f(xi) being the heights, which is known as a Riemann sum. When you take the lim as n ---> ∞, you get infinitely small rectangles which give the exact area under the curve. Since the integral is defined as the area under the curve, we get the Riemann Integral.

do i need any editing or any changes??
please let me know asap
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I would explain more how we divide the segment into rectangles and why when their length approaches infinity the integral approaches the "area under the curve". [partial sums]

khanna203 said:
Since the integral is defined as the area under the curve, we get the Riemann Integral.

The integral is not defined as the area under the curve. The integral is defined by the limit of the Riemann sums. Then the area under the curve, assuming f(x) ≥ 0, is defined as the value of the integral, or the limit of the Riemann sums, they being the same.

You should also note that the interval the [itex]\Delta x[/itex] does not have to be constant- that is the interval does NOT have to be divided into sub-intervals of equal length.

1. What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and continuous motion. It is used to analyze and model various phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. Why is calculus important?

Calculus is important because it provides a powerful set of tools for solving problems involving rates of change and optimization. It is also essential for understanding many scientific and technological advancements, such as the laws of motion and the principles of electricity and magnetism.

3. What topics are covered in calculus?

Calculus includes topics such as limits, derivatives, integrals, and infinite series. It also covers applications of these concepts, such as optimization, related rates, and curve sketching.

4. How is calculus used in the real world?

Calculus is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including engineering, economics, physics, biology, and more. It is used to model and analyze natural phenomena, make predictions, and solve practical problems.

5. Can calculus be challenging to learn?

Yes, calculus can be challenging to learn due to its abstract concepts and complex problem-solving techniques. It requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry, as well as dedication and practice to fully grasp its principles.