What are the general requirements for defining a coordinate system in R^3?

In summary, the conversation discusses the requirements for defining a vector field in R^3, including the need for an origin and three non-coplanar curves, and the ability to specify a point's position and basis at any given point. The conversation also raises the question of what the general requirements for a coordinate system are, given the flexibility in choosing one.
mordechai9
Say we have a vector field defined in R^3. That is, at every point p in R^3, we have the corresponding set (p, v(p)). In representing this field, as far as I can tell, we have a certain list of very general requirements. That seems to be

a.) an origin,
b.) three everywhere non-coplanar curves, call them c1, c2, c3.

Where "everywhere non-coplanar" means that at any given choice of parameters t1, t2, t3, then c1'(t1), c2'(t2), c3'(t3) form a linearly independent set.

The requirement (a.) is necessary in order for us to locate distinct points. The requirement (b.) gives us a way in which to measure the position of the points. I suppose this could work by saying that when you specify a point p = (p1,p2,p3), a three-tuple, then that means the point lies at the intersection of the planes perpendicular to the velocity vectors c1'(p1), c2'(p2), c3'(p3).

Similarly, (b.) also gives us a way to provide a basis at every point, since the basis at point p=(p1,p2,p3) can be written as c1'(p1), c2'(p2), c3'(p3).

Does this seem correct, and if not, what are the general requirements for a coordinate system?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking that maybe my suggestion above doesn't work, so let me rephrase/restate my question.

Say we want to define a vector field in R^3. Then we need a way to consistently define a directional basis at each point, and a position for each point. The common choices are well known -- Cartesian coordinates, spherical coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, and so on. But what are the generic rules or axioms that we must follow in constructing an entirely arbitrary system?

The motivation for this question is the seemingly limitless flexibility in choosing a coordinate system. In practice it seems we always specify coordinate systems by relating them to the standard Cartesian or "natural" coordinates and then going from there. But I see no reason why we should have to reference the Cartesian coordinates in general.

1. What is a generic coordinate system?

A generic coordinate system is a mathematical framework used to describe the position or location of an object or point in space. It involves defining a set of axes and units to represent the three dimensions of length, width, and height.

2. What are the different types of generic coordinate systems?

There are several types of generic coordinate systems, including Cartesian, polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates. Each type has its own set of axes and units, and is used for different purposes depending on the problem at hand.

3. How are generic coordinate systems used in science?

Generic coordinate systems are used extensively in science, particularly in fields such as physics, astronomy, and engineering. They are used to describe the position, motion, and orientation of objects, as well as to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

4. What are the advantages of using generic coordinate systems?

The use of generic coordinate systems allows for a standardized and universal way of describing and communicating positions and movements. They also make it easier to visualize and analyze complex systems by breaking them down into simpler components.

5. Can a single object or point be represented in multiple generic coordinate systems?

Yes, a single object or point can be represented in multiple generic coordinate systems. This is known as coordinate transformation and is often necessary when working with different types of data or when solving complex problems that require multiple perspectives.