Calcluating the Hubble Radius for an open universe?

In summary, the Friedmann Equation for an open, dust-filled (matter-dominated) universe has the following parametric form: a(x)={a_0 \Omega \over 2(1-\Omega)}(cosh(x)-1) t(x)={\Omega \over 2 H_0 (1- \Omega)^{3/2}}(sinh(x)-x) and the Hubble Radius is found as a function of x as follows: R_H={c a \over ({da \over dt})}=ct
CharlesB
Given the following parametric form of the Friedmann Equation for an open, dust-filled (matter-dominated) universe:
[tex]a(x)={a_0 \Omega \over 2(1-\Omega)}(cosh(x)-1)[/tex]

[tex]t(x)={\Omega \over 2 H_0 (1- \Omega)^{3/2}}(sinh(x)-x)[/tex]

I am trying to calculate the Hubble Radius, R=c/H(t) where H(t)=(da/dt)/a and have come up with the following solution:

[tex]{da \over dt} = {da \over dx} {dx \over dt}[/tex]

[tex]{da \over dx}={a_0 \Omega \over 2(1-\Omega)}sinh(x)[/tex]

[tex]{dt \over dx}={\Omega \over 2H(1- \Omega)^{3/2}}(cosh(x)-1)[/tex]

[tex]{da \over dt}=Ha_0(1-\Omega)^{1/2}coth({x \over 2})[/tex]

Integrate to find a:

[tex]a=Ha_0(1-\Omega)^{1/2}coth({x \over 2})t[/tex]

[tex]{{da \over dt} \over a}={1 \over t}[/tex]

Therefore, the Hubble Radius:

[tex]R_H={c a \over ({da \over dt})}=ct[/tex]

I just can't seem to find any references to this solution, so I don't know if it is actually correct.
Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Could you please enclose the latex in [noparse][tex][/tex][/noparse] tags?

e.g.

[noparse][tex]{dy \over dx} = x[/tex][/noparse]

Chalnoth said:
Could you please enclose the latex in [noparse][tex][/tex][/noparse] tags?

e.g.

[noparse][tex]{dy \over dx} = x[/tex][/noparse]

Sorry, fixed now.

CharlesB said:
Sorry, fixed now.
Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't think it's correct. The step after "Integrate to find a:" appears to be wrong. Basically, x and t are not independent variables, so you can't integrate a function which includes x over t without first substituting x as a function of t.

Edit: Looks like a potential solution may be:

[tex]\int f(x)dt = \int {f(x) \over {dx \over dt} } {dx \over dt} dt = \int {f(x) \over {dx \over dt} } dx[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought that might have been the case. Any ideas how to get a solution for a then?

CharlesB said:
Thanks, I thought that might have been the case. Any ideas how to get a solution for a then?
Heh, you replied too fast :) I think the edit in my above post may be a way to go.

Tricky. Thanks for your help!

CharlesB said:
Tricky. Thanks for your help!
Heh, just realized that doesn't actually get you anywhere, because it just gives a(x), which you already have!

I also think I've noticed another mistake, where you say da/dt is proportional to the hyperbolic cotangent. I don't think this is the case, as it looks like you've dropped the -1 in dt/dx.

Anyway, you should be able to get the Hubble radius as a function of x no problem. Getting it as a function of t analytically may not be possible.

CharlesB said:
Yeah, I realized it was pretty stupid to integrate da/dt since I already had a(x). And I just used WolframAlpha to get coth(x/2), http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=d/dx(cosh(x)-1)*(1/(d/dx(sinh(x)-x))). It's probably just as easy to use sinh(x)/{cosh(x) -1}.

Now to get the particle horizon!
Oh, I see, it's the hyperbolic cotangent of x/2, not x. That makes sense now. For some reason I missed the division by 2 before. Obviously they're using some interesting trigonometric identities to get that answer.

1. What is the Hubble radius?

The Hubble radius is a measure of the distance at which objects appear to be receding from us due to the expansion of the universe. It is also known as the Hubble distance or the Hubble limit.

2. How is the Hubble radius calculated?

The Hubble radius can be calculated by dividing the speed of light (c) by the Hubble constant (H0). This gives a distance of approximately 14.4 billion light years.

3. What is the significance of the Hubble radius for an open universe?

For an open universe, the Hubble radius represents the critical distance at which the expansion of the universe is equal to the speed of light. Beyond this distance, objects are moving away from us faster than the speed of light and cannot be observed.

4. How does the Hubble radius relate to the age of the universe?

The Hubble radius is directly related to the age of the universe. It is estimated that the age of the universe is approximately 3 times the Hubble radius.

5. Can the Hubble radius change over time?

Yes, the Hubble radius can change over time as the expansion of the universe accelerates or decelerates. This is influenced by factors such as dark energy and the amount of matter in the universe.