Is my device's capacitance or resistance causing a measurement problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a device that is believed to be a capacitor, but when measuring capacitance, the results vary between 1.5-2.5nF. The user also tried to measure resistance and got a result of 1.34MOhm, which leads to confusion about whether the device is a capacitor or a resistor. The expert explains that no capacitor is ideal and there is always some resistance present due to imperfections. They suggest checking the raw data and compensation of the test fixture and cables.
Dimani4
I did some device that should be capacitor. when i try to measure capacitance I got some capacitance that varies like that:(1.5-2.5nF), but.. then i wanted to check resistance just for curiosity.. I got some result..it shows me 1.34MOhm. How it could be? As I understand it should be or capacitance or resistance..I just wanted to understand the circuit of my device. What is what? capacitor and resistor parallel or series? how can i check it?

Engineering news on Phys.org
No capacitor is ideal (i.e. infinite resistance). Depending on what type of capacitor it is, I can imagine various real, non-infinite resistance values. There is always resistance in parallel with the ideal capacity (insulators are imperfect) and a series resistance due to the leads. Can't avoid these.

If you are using an LCR meter to make this measurement, you have to remember it only really measures |Z| and theta. So if you get a bizarro value (e.g. negative resistance or capacitance) it's often because everything else is model and algebra dependent extrapolating from |Z|-theta raw data. Garbage-In-Garbage-Out.

Having such a large variance sounds like a noise/ranging/resolution problem. What instrument are you using to measure this? If you are using something like an HP/Agilent 4284A, it should have no problem with measure device values range but you'd need to autorange. Also: did you compensate your test fixture/cables? That can mess things up also. I'd also look at the raw |Z|-theta data first (this is how you can find bad compensation) and check your bias/osc levels (if your device is small, you may need more AC bias level, or less DC bias - if your LCR supports that).

1. What is the "measurement problem" in science?

The "measurement problem" refers to the philosophical and scientific debate about the nature of measurement in quantum mechanics. It questions how measurements are made and interpreted in this field of physics.

2. Why is the measurement problem important in scientific research?

The measurement problem is important because it challenges our understanding of reality and the fundamental principles of physics. It also has implications for how we conduct experiments and make predictions in quantum mechanics.

3. How do scientists approach the measurement problem?

Scientists approach the measurement problem by using various interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation, the many-worlds interpretation, and the pilot-wave theory. They also conduct experiments and continue to develop new theories to better understand the nature of measurement in quantum mechanics.

4. What are some proposed solutions to the measurement problem?

Some proposed solutions to the measurement problem include the idea of quantum decoherence, which suggests that the interaction of particles with their surrounding environment causes the collapse of the wave function and leads to the observed measurement. Another solution is the consistent histories interpretation, which suggests that all possible outcomes of a measurement exist in different parallel universes.

5. How does the measurement problem impact our understanding of the universe?

The measurement problem has a significant impact on our understanding of the universe because it challenges our traditional notions of reality and raises questions about the nature of existence. It also has implications for other fields of science, such as cosmology and biology, as it challenges our understanding of cause and effect and the role of observation in shaping reality.