Maximum Force on Inclined Plane to keep object stationary

In summary, the conversation discusses a block of mass m1 on a wedge of mass m2, which will slide down the incline from rest due to the coefficients of kinetic and static frictions between the block and wedge being the same as those between the wedge and table. The angle of inclination of the wedge is given by B(Beta). The question asks for the maximum possible value of F (Fmax) if the wedge is pushed with a horizontal force F such that the block does not slide up or down the incline. The conversation also includes equations and attempts at solving the problem.
wainker

Homework Statement

A block of mass m1 is placed on a wedge of mass m2. If the wedge is held at rest, it is observed that the block will automatically slide down the incline from rest. The coefficients of kinetic and static frictions between the block and the wedge are the same as those between the wedge and the table. They are given by uk(mu k) and us(mu s), respectively. The angle of inclination of the incline of the wedge is B(Beta).
If we push the wedge along a horizontal surface with a horizontal force F, such that the block would not slide up or down the incline, what is the maximum possible value of Fmax?

Homework Equations

For system of Wedge and block: Net Force=Fmax-Fk
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

First off, my xy plane is x is parallel to the table and y is perpendicular to the table.

The four forces acting on the system are 1-Fn up, 2-Fg down, 3-Fmax to the right, 4-Fk to the left. Fn and Fg cancel each other out, so
Net Force=Fmax-Fk
Fmax=Net Force+Fk=(m1+m2)a-uk(m1+m2)g=(m1+m2)(a-ukg)

On the block, there are three forces acting 1-Fn at an angle perpendicular to the inclined surface, 2-Fg straight down and 3-Fs pointing down the inclined surface (parallel). Now it gets sticky for me.
Sum Forces in x direction:
Fx=FnsinB+FscosB
ma=FnsinB+usFncosB
To find Fn, I solved for sum of forces in y direction:
Fy=0(no acceleration)=FncosB-mg-FssinB=FncosB-mg-usFnsinB
FncosB-usFnsinB=mg
Fn=(mg)/(cosB-ussinB)

So ma=(mgsinB+usmgcosB)/(cosB-ussinB)
a=(gsinB+usgcosB)/(cosB-ussinB)

I plugged this "a" back into the Fmax equation's "a" and I get some crazy long answer...which I was told is wrong, but it is:
Fmax=g(m1+m2)((sinB+uscosB)/(cosB-ussinB)-uk)

I tried another way but I don't know if it is right or not:

Same Fmax equation as above except:
Fmax=Net Force+Fk=(m1+m2)a2-uk(m1+m2)g=(m1+m2)(a2-ukg) <-----Equation 1

For block, to keep the block from moving, there is a force that is traveling up the plane, but I don't know how to justify it, that counters the downward movement of the block, so:
ma1=mgsinB+usmgcosB
a1=gsinB+usgcosB

To connect the two:
a1=a2cosB
a2=a1/cosB=gtanB+usg

Plug a2 into Equation 1 and get:
Fmax=g(m1+m2)(tanB+us-uk)

But I think this is also wrong because I can't justify the force moving up the block parallel to the incline.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, I'm a numbers sort of guy, so when I see problems with variables given as letters instead of numbers, I generally am turned off, since I lose a 'feel' for the problem and get confused with the algebraic manipulations.

At a glance, your original method looks good and well thought out, so I think your error may be in your first equation,

Fmax=Net Force+Fk=(m1+m2)a - uk(m1+m2)g=(m1+m2)(a-ukg)

Looks like you made a silly error, the '+ Fk" is correct, but then you changed it to a minus sign as I have highlighted in red.

:grumpy::bugeye::frown:

Welcome to Physics Forums!

1. What is the maximum force required to keep an object stationary on an inclined plane?

The maximum force required to keep an object stationary on an inclined plane is equal to the weight of the object multiplied by the sine of the angle of inclination. This is known as the force of static friction.

2. How do you calculate the angle of inclination on an inclined plane?

The angle of inclination on an inclined plane can be calculated by taking the inverse sine of the ratio of the height of the plane to the length of the plane. This is known as the slope or gradient of the plane.

3. What factors affect the maximum force required to keep an object stationary on an inclined plane?

The maximum force required to keep an object stationary on an inclined plane is affected by the coefficient of static friction, the weight of the object, and the angle of inclination. The coefficient of static friction is a measure of the roughness between the object and the surface of the inclined plane.

4. How does the weight of the object affect the maximum force on an inclined plane?

The weight of the object directly affects the maximum force required to keep it stationary on an inclined plane. The heavier the object, the greater the maximum force needed to counteract its weight and keep it from sliding down the plane.

5. Can the maximum force on an inclined plane be greater than the weight of the object?

No, the maximum force on an inclined plane cannot be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the maximum force required to keep an object stationary on an inclined plane is equal to the weight of the object multiplied by the sine of the angle of inclination, and the weight of the object is the maximum force of gravity acting on it.