Proving Non-Cyclic and Non-Abelian Properties of Dihedral and Symmetric Groups?

In summary, to prove that S_n and D_n for n>=3 are non-cyclic and non-abelian, it suffices to show that the groups are not abelian. This can be achieved by finding two elements that do not commute. For example, in S3, elements r = rotation and s = reflection do not commute. This can be generalized to all n>=3. Additionally, Dn can be shown to be non-abelian as it is a subgroup of Sn.
MikeDietrich

Homework Statement

Prove that S_n and D_n for n>=3 are non-cyclic and non-abelian.

Homework Equations

I get that I need to show that two elements from each group do not commute and that there is not a single generator to produce the groups... I am just unsure of how to do this.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can prove the non-abelian part for both by "multiplying" two of the elements and showing they do not commute (easy enough). However, how do I generalize the property to all n>=3? I have no idea where to start with the cyclic part. I have a hard time visualizing how rotations and reflections could be cyclic.

Any guidance appreciated. I generally find someone says one little thing that makes everything click into place. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it suffices to show that the groups are not abelian. This implies that the groups are not cyclic (since any cyclic group is abelian).

Let's start of with Sn. You need to find two elements in Sn which do not commute. Can you find me such elements in S3??

Sure. r = rotation, s = refection
Let's say r_1=3, r_2=1, r_3 = 2 and s_1 = 2, s_2 = 1 and s_3 = 3 then (r)(s) = (1,3,2) and (s)(r) = (3,2,1). Obviously, they do not commute. How do I generalize that to include all n>=3?

Well, I think this example generalizes to all n... It will never be true that rs=sr.

Yeah... you're right. I was over-thinking this one. THANKS!

Is is enough to show Dn is non-abelian as it is a subgroup of Sn. This follows directly from a definition (note s-1 = s)

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/0/5/6/056d32f591f128306e785abf0b1437c7.png[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a dihedral group?

A dihedral group is a type of mathematical group that consists of the symmetries of a regular polygon, including rotations and reflections. It is denoted by Dn where n represents the number of sides of the polygon.

2. How is a dihedral group different from a symmetric group?

A dihedral group is a subgroup of the symmetric group, meaning that it is a smaller group that is contained within the larger symmetric group. The symmetric group contains all possible permutations of a set, while the dihedral group only contains the symmetries of a regular polygon.

3. What is the order of a dihedral group?

The order of a dihedral group Dn is 2n, as it contains n rotations and n reflections. This can also be seen as the number of symmetries of a regular n-sided polygon.

4. How are dihedral groups used in real life?

Dihedral groups have many applications in geometry, physics, and chemistry. In geometry, they are used to describe the symmetries of regular polygons and polyhedra. In physics, they are used to describe the symmetries of crystals. In chemistry, they are used to classify molecules based on their symmetry properties.

5. Can a dihedral group be infinite?

No, a dihedral group can only be finite. This is because the symmetries of a regular polygon are limited and can only be repeated a finite number of times. However, there are infinite groups that contain dihedral groups as subgroups, such as the infinite dihedral group which is a subgroup of the infinite symmetric group.