EM response function of the Phase Action of a BCS superconductor

In summary, the EM response function of the "Phase Action" of a BCS superconductor can be found in Schrieffer's book "Theory of Superconductivity". This derivation of the response kernel is mentioned in the discussion of divergence of conductivity on page 393 of "Condensed Matter Field Theory" by Altland and Simons. The action and calculation needed for this response are also provided in the conversation.
physengineer
EM response function of the "Phase Action" of a BCS superconductor

Hello,

I am looking for a paper in which people calculated the EM response of phase action of A BCS SC. In the book "Condensed Matter Field Theory" by Altland and Simons, on page 393 they mention such a thing in the discussion of divergence of conductivity.

I would appreciate it if you could introduce me some references, as my effort to find it through search for it has been futile.

Here is the action:

[tex] S[\theta]=\int dx ( \nu (\partial_\tau \theta)^2+\frac{n_s}{2m} (\nabla \theta)^2 )[/tex]

Here is what is needed to be calculated:

[tex] K_{ij}(x,x')=-\frac{n_s}{m}[\delta_{ij}-\frac{n_s}{m}\left\langle \partial_i \theta (x) \partial_j \theta(x') \right \rangle] [/tex]

Thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Try Schrieffer's book, "Theory of Superconductivity". He has a derivation of the response kernel and it is quite readable.

1. What is the EM response function of the Phase Action of a BCS superconductor?

The EM response function of the Phase Action of a BCS superconductor is a mathematical representation of how the superconductor responds to an external electromagnetic field. It describes the relationship between the electric and magnetic fields and the induced currents in the superconductor.

2. How is the EM response function measured?

The EM response function can be measured experimentally by applying an external electromagnetic field to the superconductor and measuring the resulting induced currents. The data can then be analyzed to determine the response function.

3. What factors affect the EM response function of a BCS superconductor?

The EM response function of a BCS superconductor is affected by various factors including the temperature, magnetic field strength, and the material properties of the superconductor such as its critical temperature and critical current density.

4. How does the EM response function of a BCS superconductor differ from other superconductors?

The EM response function of a BCS superconductor differs from other superconductors in that it follows the BCS theory, which explains the behavior of conventional superconductors. Other types of superconductors, such as high-temperature superconductors, have different response functions due to their unique properties.

5. What is the significance of studying the EM response function of BCS superconductors?

Studying the EM response function of BCS superconductors is important for understanding their behavior and potential applications. It can also provide insights into the underlying physics of the superconducting state and help in the development of new materials with improved superconducting properties.