Sky Shade Shift: Does Color Change at Latitudes & Altitudes?

• Thread starter one_raven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shift Sky
In summary, the shade of blue in the sky changes with local weather conditions and the altitude of the sun. It may vary widely in different atmospheric conditions. However, it may also vary at different latitudes under identical conditions. At the equator, the sun at noon never gets more than 23+ degrees from straight overhead, while at the poles it never gets more than that above the horizon. Additionally, the Earth does not appear blue from space because the water reflects blue light, but there may be a slight blue haze over the land and clouds. Objects in the distance do not have a blue haze because the sky appears blue due to the scattering of sunlight by air molecules, not objects.
one_raven
I'm not sure which sub-forums this should go in...

Does the shade of blue that the sky appears to be change at all at differing lattitudes on Earth?
What about different altitudes?
If so, how much?
Any links to specific info?

Thanks for any input you have.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, it does change with local weather conditions and the altitude of the sun. I'm not sure if I consider that a "yes" or not...

I know that the shade of the sky can vary widely in different atmospheric conditions.
What I am wondering is if it would var at differnt lattitudes under identical conditions.
If you look up at noon on a clear dry day at the equator would it be the same shade as if you looked up at noon at the North or South Pole at noon on a clear dry day?

Well the altitude of the Sun at noon at those latitudes would have its effect. At the equator the Sun at noon never gets more than 23+ degrees from straight overhead. At the poles, it never gets more than that above the horizon at noon.

On a similar note...
I am curious...
If the sky is blue due to the scattering of sunlight by the air molecules, then:
1.) Why doesn't the Earth look blue from space? The water looks blue, sure, but I would expect there to be at least a slight blue haze over the land and clouds.
2.) Why, when looking off many miles into the distance on Earth, objects don't have a blue haze? Why is there a blue sky, but no blue "wall"?

1. How does the color of the sky change at different latitudes and altitudes?

The color of the sky changes due to the scattering of sunlight by particles in the Earth's atmosphere. At different latitudes and altitudes, the density and composition of these particles can vary, resulting in a different color of the sky.

2. What factors influence the color change of the sky?

The color change of the sky is influenced by several factors, including the angle of the sun's rays, the amount and type of particles in the atmosphere, and the wavelength of light being scattered.

3. Is there a specific color that the sky changes to at certain latitudes or altitudes?

No, there is no specific color that the sky changes to at certain latitudes or altitudes. The color of the sky can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above.

4. Does the color change of the sky have any impact on weather patterns?

The color change of the sky is not directly related to weather patterns. However, certain weather conditions, such as pollution or dust storms, can affect the amount and type of particles in the atmosphere and thus impact the color of the sky.

5. How can studying the color change of the sky at different latitudes and altitudes benefit us?

Studying the color change of the sky at different latitudes and altitudes can provide valuable information about the Earth's atmosphere and how it interacts with sunlight. This can help us better understand climate change, air quality, and other important environmental factors.