8.9 earthquake in Japan: tsunami warnings

In summary: South America. In summary, an 8.9 earthquake struck Japan today, triggering a tsunami that has already killed 382 people and swept away hundreds of homes. The quake is likely to trigger more aftershocks, and people living along the west coast of North America and Central and South America should prepare for possible flooding.
nismaratwork said:
I did DA... I saw a hydrogen explosion, and then some dirty steam and smoke.

No you did not. You watched the wrong video:

What’s wrong with you guys? One doesn’t check and the other is talking about the wrong stuff?? Should we all get some of Lacy’s snacks!? :grumpy:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
nismaratwork said:
*prepares blowdart with xanax and haldol*

You'll feel better in a moment... or you'll drool to death... one or the other! *ffffwwwt*

:wink:

Nirvana ...

DevilsAvocado said:
No you did not. You watched the wrong video:

What’s wrong with you guys? One doesn’t check and the other is talking about the wrong stuff?? Should we all get some of Lacy’s snacks!? :grumpy:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Meh, I actually watched that live... I give a lot of credit to Dallas for not fearmongering, and resisting the anchors later attempts to goad.

I did assume however, and thus I am revealed, caught, my hands red with my sin. :rofl:

And yes... I'll take a snack please!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

We're apparently sending NEST into Fukishima.

There is great concern that the quake, tsunami, and reactor incidents will throw Japan's economy into another tailspin - just as the economy was starting to recover.

nismaratwork said:
*prepares blowdart with xanax and haldol*

You'll feel better in a moment... or you'll drool to death... one or the other! *ffffwwwt*

:wink:

Dr. nismaratwork! With all do respect to your years of education and experience, I think you just over medicated your buddy there. Haldol? He is just an excited, nervous poster. Not a violent, raging maniac.

But if you want to keep your buddy off the board while he sleeps or sits staring at the wall and you become "Master of The Lower Threads" I think that cocktail should do him in. :bugeye: Good work.
Btw, I have a little something for you. Mwahahaha!~

Lacy33 said:
Dr. nismaratwork! With all do respect to your years of education and experience, I think you just over medicated your buddy there. Haldol? He is just an excited, nervous poster. Not a violent, raging maniac.

But if you want to keep your buddy off the board while he sleeps or sits staring at the wall and you become "Master of The Lower Threads" I think that cocktail should do him in. :bugeye: Good work.
Btw, I have a little something for you. Mwahahaha!~

looking up some old Thorazine ads will give you a better appreciation of the doctor-patient relationship from the physician's POV. basically, patients should be seen and not heard.

Footage from Santa Cruz:

7B-ACV3pPqc[/youtube] You can te...rom the narration. "Holy crap, dude! No way!"

Math Is Hard said:
Footage from Santa Cruz:

7B-ACV3pPqc[/youtube] You can te... haha sounds like a robot or william shatner

Last edited:
It made me think of Bill and Ted. :)

CNN is reporting that Japan's nuclear regulating agency has announced that a meltdown may be under way.

Ivan Seeking said:
CNN is reporting that Japan's nuclear regulating agency has announced that a meltdown may be under way.

What kind of meltdown are we talking about? I chernobyl style disaster?

From what I've read, anything that happens would be more on the scale of Three Mile Island than Chernobyl.

According to Stratfor: "Japan’s Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) said March 12 that the explosion at the Fukushima Daiichi No. 1 nuclear plant could only have been caused by a meltdown of the reactor core, Japanese daily Nikkei reported."

Blitzer is interviewing a Japanese Ambassador who is downplaying that statement. Apparently there is conflicting information. The announcment came from an official at the Nuclear Safety Agency.

Greg Bernhardt said:
What kind of meltdown are we talking about? I chernobyl style disaster?

So far no other specifics have been offered.

One person described the efforts to save the core from melting down a "Hail Mary pass". I didn't catch the source of that statement.

The Japanese government does seems to be releasing contradictory statements; I hope any confusion is limited to press releases and not rescue/recovery efforts.

Ivan Seeking said:
I don't trust CNN's coverage given the lack of accurate information and the tendency to fear-monger for ratings. I was watching CNN this afternoon and had to turn it off after an hour or so of speculation, worst-case scenarios, etc. Their "experts" had no apparent contact with the plant operators, nor descriptions of current conditions at the plant, yet they were making claims that this was the third-worst nuclear accident in history.

"News" has degenerated into an exercise in rounding up "authoritative" figures with opinions that they want to express (not just in this case, but more obviously in the political sphere) and letting them pontificate. This is far too sensitive a matter to take that "wild swing" approach. It would be better to concentrate on the human suffering, lack of response, lack of food, water, etc, and the need for more portable medical facilities, IMO. Nuclear "catastrophe" will sell a lot more ads due to view-ratings, but it's irresponsible to make pronouncements based on what little solid information available to us.

I agree with jhae2.718, I heard it on the news. There wouldn't be anything like chernobyl style disaster.
Although Japan has a long and largely successful nuclear power programme, officials have been less than honest about some incidents in the past, meaning that official reassurances are unlikely to convince everyone this time round.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so please be patient with me if this question has already been asked. Soon after the tsunami hit, I started hearing reports that the cooling system and all of its backups in one of the nuclear reactors had failed. In the following hours the situation grew worse. My question is, why can't they just pull all of the rods out of the reactor and separate them so that the nuclear fissioning dies out?

turbo-1 said:
I don't trust CNN's coverage given the lack of accurate information and the tendency to fear-monger for ratings. I was watching CNN this afternoon and had to turn it off after an hour or so of speculation, worst-case scenarios, etc. Their "experts" had no apparent contact with the plant operators, nor descriptions of current conditions at the plant, yet they were making claims that this was the third-worst nuclear accident in history.

"News" has degenerated into an exercise in rounding up "authoritative" figures with opinions that they want to express (not just in this case, but more obviously in the political sphere) and letting them pontificate. This is far too sensitive a matter to take that "wild swing" approach. It would be better to concentrate on the human suffering, lack of response, lack of food, water, etc, and the need for more portable medical facilities, IMO. Nuclear "catastrophe" will sell a lot more ads due to view-ratings, but it's irresponsible to make pronouncements based on what little solid information available to us.

I think there is far too much fear mongering towards CNN. They no sooner announced the "official release" from the Nuclear Agency than they had Japan's ambassador in front of the camera, who was downplaying the report. So let's stop the anti-cnn hype please. If you didn't watch the report then you have no business commenting.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I haven't read all the posts in this thread so please be patient with me if this question has already been asked. Soon after the tsunami hit, I started hearing reports that the cooling system and all of its backups in one of the nuclear reactors had failed. In the following hours the situation grew worse. My question is, why can't they just pull all of the rods out of the reactor and separate them so that the nuclear fissioning dies out?

From what I understand that's not the source of the problem. Reactor has been shut down, but there is enough short living isotopes in it to create excess heat that has to be dealt with. That's expected and not surprising, just their backup cooling systems failed.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think there is far too much fear mongering towards CNN. They no sooner announced the "official release" from the Nuclear Agency than they had Japan's ambassador in front of the camera, who was downplaying the report. So let's stop the anti-cnn hype please. If you didn't watch the report then you have no business commenting.
The CNN "experts" apparently had no data on core temperatures, core cooling levels, flows, etc. I'm not saying that there is not a threat, just that reporting and grading threats with NO specifics is dangerous. The US needs to have nuclear power on-deck (IMO) in order to supply our energy needs, and we need to have relative risks and strengths of that industry presented fairly.

turbo-1 said:
The CNN "experts" apparently had no data on core temperatures, core cooling levels, flows, etc. I'm not saying that there is not a threat, just that reporting and grading threats with NO specifics is dangerous. The US needs to have nuclear power on-deck (IMO) in order to supply our energy needs, and we need to have relative risks and strengths of that industry presented fairly.

Just stay on topic please, for a change! It was an official report from Japan's Nuclear Regulatory Agency. This is not a thread about CNN.

Borek said:
From what I understand that's not the source of the problem. Reactor has been shut down, but there is enough short living isotopes in it to create excess heat that has to be dealt with. That's expected and not surprising, just their backup cooling systems failed.
But now they're talking about a partial meltdown. That would mean the fuel rods are still in there wouldn't it?

Jimmy Snyder said:

Readers Digest version of how reactors work:

1. The rods being pulled out increase reactor power
2. The rods were all inserted during the earthquake, shutting down the reactor
3. The by-products of splitting Uranium are radioactive, ie, decay over time, releasing energy
4. These radionuclides are what are keeping the reactor hot.
5. It will take several days before these radionuclides have decayed to the point where forced cooling in not required to keep everything from melting.

My solution to the problem would have been to start up one of the other 3 reactors to provide power to the damaged ones. Unless of course, independence was not designed into the plant.

Jimmy Snyder said:
But now they're talking about a partial meltdown. That would mean the fuel rods are still in there wouldn't it?

That was exactly what I was wondering. I read that they had successfully achieved a SCRAM, but I've been reading about this from so many sources I can't remember exactly where I read that.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Eek!

Yes. The fuel rods are still in there. I read "rods" as control rods.

But the entire system is under tremendous pressure. To remove anything would depressurize the entire system. Doing this would ensure meltdown.

OmCheeto said:
Readers Digest version of how reactors work:

1. The rods being pulled out increase reactor power
2. The rods were all inserted during the earthquake, shutting down the reactor
3. The by-products of splitting Uranium are radioactive, ie, decay over time, releasing energy
4. These radionuclides are what are keeping the reactor hot.
5. It will take several days before these radionuclides have decayed to the point where forced cooling in not required to keep everything from melting.

My solution to the problem would have been to start up one of the other 3 reactors to provide power to the damaged ones. Unless of course, independence was not designed into the plant.
Sorry, my knowledge of nuclear reactors and the vocabulary is not all that good. I meant pull the fuel out of the reactor so that they would stop reacting. Then separate them from each other or put them in lead envelopes so they can't react with each other.

Is this all coming from the Large Print Version of Readers Digest because I can't see well when I am screaming and crying?

Ivan, my gut feeling is that the ambassador is not disclosing all he knows. He seemed to be trying to change the subject, while remaining calm.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Sorry, my knowledge of nuclear reactors and the vocabulary is not all that good. I meant pull the fuel out of the reactor so that they would stop reacting. Then separate them from each other or put them in lead envelopes so they can't react with each other.

I don't know what the radiation levels are at the moment around the pressure vessel. But it is my guess that it would be suicide for anyone to attempt such a feat, in such a short time.

Astro has much more knowledge of industrial sized reactors. I'm more familiar with tiny ones that run boats. And we didn't do a re-fueling during the overhaul, so I don't know how many people would be involved.

As I said before, they just need to get power to the cooling pumps.

hypatia said:
Ivan, my gut feeling is that the ambassador is not disclosing all he knows. He seemed to be trying to change the subject, while remaining calm.

Well then everyone get under your desk and put your hands over the back of your neck.

btw
don't eat the oatmeal. :frown:

(Meanwhile, my company is resuming its (Tokyo) business activities on Monday. There wasn't much damage. I don't know if this is true for all other companies.)

Jimmy Snyder said:
The nuclear fissioning stopped when the control rods were inserted, and the reactor went subcritical.

They would normally let the core cooldown and depressurize before opening the reactor vessel, but they lost that cooling when the lost offsite power and then the emergency diesel generators quit after one hour. It would normally be a day or so before they start preparing to unload the core. But since they lost cooling, there was no cooling down of the reactor, and it would be unsafe to try and unload the core.

At shudown, the fission products are still generating heat from beta and gamma decay, and there are also some alpha-decaying transuranics. The heat is about 5 to 7% of operating power, but this quickly decays as the short-lived isotopes decay rapidly over a few days.
This provides a reasonable overview -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decay_heat#Power_reactors_in_shutdown

I would expect TEPCO and the government to very cautious about what they reveal to the public.

In theory, they should be able to determine from certain radioisotopes whether or not the fuel in the core has been breached. Xe and Kr can be present in low levels from tramp uranium, or small breaches in the cladding. If there is Cs and Sr in the coolant, that could be indicative of fuel failures. If the detect Np-239, Ce-144 and other isotopes, this is a pretty good indicator of fuel failure.

The last I heard, the plant personnel were attempting to flood the containment with seawater in order to cool the reactor.

This shows the Mark I containment (from World Nuclear Net/GE) -
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/183707_10150122455179029_53295319028_6446711_4177387_n.jpg [Broken]

The will try to get water into the core which is inside the pressure vessel. I don't have any information on the integrity of the containment or the primary system, so I don't know if any of the recirculation piping has been ruptured. The steamlines go out of the upper portion of the reactor vessel, but steam line valves isolate the primary side from the turbines when the plant is shutdown.

<h2>1. What caused the 8.9 earthquake in Japan?</h2><p>The 8.9 earthquake in Japan was caused by the sudden movement of tectonic plates in the Earth's crust. This type of earthquake, known as a megathrust earthquake, occurs when one tectonic plate subducts under another, causing a sudden release of energy.</p><h2>2. How did the earthquake trigger a tsunami?</h2><p>The earthquake in Japan caused a tsunami by displacing a large amount of water in the ocean. As the seafloor moves during an earthquake, it pushes the water above it, creating large waves that can travel long distances.</p><h2>3. What is the impact of the tsunami warnings?</h2><p>The tsunami warnings issued after the 8.9 earthquake in Japan were crucial in helping people evacuate and seek higher ground. The warnings also allowed countries in the Pacific Ocean to prepare for potential tsunami waves and minimize damage.</p><h2>4. How often do earthquakes of this magnitude occur in Japan?</h2><p>Japan is located in the Pacific Ring of Fire, a region known for frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Earthquakes of this magnitude are not uncommon in Japan, with several occurring every year. However, the country has strict building codes and emergency preparedness measures in place to minimize the impact of these events.</p><h2>5. Can scientists predict when and where an earthquake will occur?</h2><p>While scientists can monitor tectonic activity and identify areas at higher risk for earthquakes, it is currently not possible to predict exactly when and where an earthquake will occur. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may one day lead to more accurate earthquake forecasting.</p>

1. What caused the 8.9 earthquake in Japan?

The 8.9 earthquake in Japan was caused by the sudden movement of tectonic plates in the Earth's crust. This type of earthquake, known as a megathrust earthquake, occurs when one tectonic plate subducts under another, causing a sudden release of energy.

2. How did the earthquake trigger a tsunami?

The earthquake in Japan caused a tsunami by displacing a large amount of water in the ocean. As the seafloor moves during an earthquake, it pushes the water above it, creating large waves that can travel long distances.

3. What is the impact of the tsunami warnings?

The tsunami warnings issued after the 8.9 earthquake in Japan were crucial in helping people evacuate and seek higher ground. The warnings also allowed countries in the Pacific Ocean to prepare for potential tsunami waves and minimize damage.

4. How often do earthquakes of this magnitude occur in Japan?

Japan is located in the Pacific Ring of Fire, a region known for frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions. Earthquakes of this magnitude are not uncommon in Japan, with several occurring every year. However, the country has strict building codes and emergency preparedness measures in place to minimize the impact of these events.

5. Can scientists predict when and where an earthquake will occur?

While scientists can monitor tectonic activity and identify areas at higher risk for earthquakes, it is currently not possible to predict exactly when and where an earthquake will occur. However, ongoing research and advancements in technology may one day lead to more accurate earthquake forecasting.