Fanno and Rayleigh Flow, calculating exit conditions

In summary, the Fanno flow and Rayleigh flow equations are used to calculate the flow conditions at different points in a duct, and the * parameters represent the sonic conditions. The Mach number in the equations refers to the local Mach number, not the given Mach number at the inlet.
roldy
I've seen equations for Fanno flow and Rayleigh flow but I am confused on how to use them properly.

Fanno Flow

[tex]
\frac{P}{P^{*}}=\frac{1}{M}\frac{1}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{2}{\gamma+1}}\right)\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}M^2\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\rho}{\rho^{*}}=\frac{1}{M}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{2}{\gamma+1}}\right)\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}M^2\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{T}{T^{*}}=\frac{1}{\left(\frac{2}{\gamma+1}\right)\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}M^2\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{U}{U^{*}}=M\frac{1}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{2}{\gamma+1}}\right)\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}M^2\right)}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{P_0}{P_0^{*}}=\frac{1}{M}\left[\left(\frac{2}{\gamma+1}}\right)\left(1+\frac{\gamma-1}{2}M^2\right)\right]^{\frac{\gamma+1}{2(\gamma-1)}}
[/tex]

[tex]
T_0=T_0^{*}
[/tex]

Inlet conditions:

[tex]P_0=101325[/tex] Pa

[tex]T_0=288[/tex] K

[tex]M_0=0.1[/tex]

[tex]Area=0.1 m^2[/tex]

[tex]T_{wall}=3000[/tex]K

Friction Coefficient([tex]C_f[/tex])=0.2

Duct Length=10 m

Adiabatic, no work interaction, constant area

I guess my confusion comes from the * parameters. If I know my inlet conditions only, how can I calculate the exit conditions from these equations? What do the numerator parameters represent? Are they the values at the exit? The Mach number in these equations, are they any the given Mach number (in this case 0.1)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The star quantities just represent the pressure at sonic condition (M = 1). It is just a reference condition. If you had, for example, [itex]p_{1}[/itex] and wanted [itex]p_{2}[/itex], you would simply do:
[tex] p_{2} = \frac{p_2}{p^*}\frac{p^*}{p_1}p_1[/tex]

You can generally find those values in tables or just calculate them directly if you wish.

Hi there,

I understand your confusion with the Fanno flow and Rayleigh flow equations. Let me try to explain it to you.

The * parameters represent the values at the sonic conditions, which is the point where the flow reaches Mach 1. So, for example, P* represents the pressure at the sonic conditions, which is when the flow reaches Mach 1. Similarly, for the other parameters, * represents the sonic conditions.

To calculate the exit conditions, you need to use the equations in conjunction with each other. You can start by calculating the Mach number at the exit using the given Mach number at the inlet and the friction coefficient. Then, plug in the calculated Mach number in the equations to find the exit conditions.

The Mach number in the equations refers to the local Mach number at any given point in the duct. So, in this case, it will not be the same as the given Mach number of 0.1, as the flow will accelerate or decelerate depending on the duct geometry and conditions.

I hope this helps clear up your confusion. Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is Fanno flow?

Fanno flow is a type of compressible fluid flow that occurs when a fluid flows through a long, straight pipe with friction present. It is named after Italian physicist Giovanni Battista Venturi Fanno.

2. What is Rayleigh flow?

Rayleigh flow is a type of compressible fluid flow that occurs when a fluid flows through a converging-diverging nozzle with no heat transfer. It is named after British physicist John Strutt, 3rd Baron Rayleigh.

3. How do I calculate the exit conditions for Fanno flow?

To calculate the exit conditions for Fanno flow, you will need to know the initial conditions (such as pressure, temperature, and velocity) and the length of the pipe. You will also need to use equations that take into account the friction and energy loss in the pipe. These calculations can be complex and may require the use of specialized software or tables.

4. How do I calculate the exit conditions for Rayleigh flow?

To calculate the exit conditions for Rayleigh flow, you will need to know the initial conditions (such as pressure, temperature, and velocity) and the geometry of the nozzle. You will also need to use equations that take into account the energy conservation and the effects of the throat area. These calculations can also be complex and may require the use of specialized software or tables.

5. What are the practical applications of Fanno and Rayleigh flow calculations?

Fanno and Rayleigh flow calculations are commonly used in the design and analysis of various engineering systems, such as gas turbines, rocket engines, and supersonic aircraft. They are also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of gases in pipes and nozzles, which can have various industrial and environmental applications.