Understanding the Unit Circle and Trigonometry Functions

In summary, the sine, cosine, and tangent functions enable you to find the length of sides of a triangle provided you know the angle and one of the lengths.
Peter G.
I am learning about the unit circle and I am a bit confused.

So, I have my circle drawn with radius 1 and I sketched a right angled triangle inside it so that the hypothenuse has a length of 1.

I think what is making me confused is the meaning of sine, cosine and tangent.

They are functions of an angle x that enable me to find the length of a side of a triangle provided I have an angle and one length? In this case, with the hypothenuse being 1, it will be equal to the function of the angle? Is that right?

And, finally in the case of tangent for example, I am not finding the length am I?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where your triangle intersects the unit circle, the coordinate are (x, y). The x coordinate is the cosine of the angle; the y coordiante is the sine of the angle.

If you extend a vertical line up from the point (1, 0), and extend the hypotenuse of your triangle, they intersect at a point (1, y). The y coordinate is the tangent of your angle.

As Mark44 said, if you have your unit triangle with center at (0, 0) of a coordinate system and draw a line from (0, 0) to the circle at angle [itex]\theta[/itex] radians to the positive x-axis, then the coordinates of the point at which the line crosses the unit circle are [itex](cos(\theta), sin(\theta))[/itex].

(radians because, strictly speaking, we are defining sine and cosine as functions of the arclength around the circumference of the unit circle, not as functions of the angle- but engineers like to always think of sine and cosine in terms of angles so we define radian measure to make the arclength the same as the angle.)

If you also draw the line from that point to the x-axis, you will have a right triangle with hypotenus of length 1, "opposite side" of length [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] and "near side" of length [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex]. Extending or shortening the lengths while maintaining the same angle gives "similar triangles" which always have the same ratios of side lengths so that, in general, [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is "opposite side divided by hypotenuse" and [itex]cos(\theta)[/itex] is "near side over hypotenuse".

1. What is the unit circle and why is it important in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin (0,0) on the Cartesian plane. It is important in trigonometry because it helps us visualize and understand the relationships between trigonometric functions and angles.

2. How do you find the values of trigonometric functions on the unit circle?

To find the values of trigonometric functions on the unit circle, we use the coordinates of points on the circle. For example, the x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine value of the corresponding angle, while the y-coordinate represents the sine value.

3. What is the difference between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are all trigonometric functions, but they have different properties and uses. Sine represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle, cosine represents the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

4. How do you use the unit circle to solve trigonometric equations?

The unit circle can be used to solve trigonometric equations by using the values of the trigonometric functions at specific angles to find missing side lengths or angles in a triangle. We can also use the unit circle to graph trigonometric equations and find their solutions.

5. Can you use the unit circle to find values of trigonometric functions for any angle?

Yes, the unit circle can be used to find values of trigonometric functions for any angle, even angles larger than a full circle (360 degrees). This is because the unit circle is a continuous representation of the trigonometric functions, and we can use it to find values for any angle on the Cartesian plane.