Deriving Angular Resolution from Bolometric Flux, Spectral Type & Temp

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deriving the angular resolution of a star by using its bolometric flux, spectral type, and effective temperature. A formula for the limb-darkened diameter of a star is also mentioned, and the idea of using lunar occultations is suggested as a potential method.
stuffy
If we know the bolometric flux, spectral type, and effective temperature of a given star, how can we derive the angular resolution from the information?

This was brought up in class and I've found myself obsessing since I can't figure it out.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I've found formula (3) of this page that gives the limb-darkened diameter of a star given its bolometric flux and effective temperature
http://aa.springer.de/papers/8331002/2300619/sc5.htm
Perhaps you know some formula relating the angular resolution with the limb-darkened diameter...

stuffy said:
If we know the bolometric flux, spectral type, and effective temperature of a given star, how can we derive the angular resolution from the information?

This was brought up in class and I've found myself obsessing since I can't figure it out.
How about using lunar occultations? Here's a link.

www.eso.org/~arichich/[/URL] publications/2001a_a...380..526.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is bolometric flux?

Bolometric flux is the total amount of energy emitted by a star or other astronomical object across all wavelengths, measured in units of energy per unit time per unit area.

2. How is angular resolution derived from bolometric flux?

Angular resolution is a measure of the smallest angle that can be resolved by a telescope or other imaging system. It is derived from bolometric flux by using the inverse square law, which states that the flux decreases with the square of the distance from the source. By measuring the flux at different distances, the angular resolution can be calculated.

3. What is spectral type and how does it relate to angular resolution?

Spectral type is a classification system for stars based on their spectral lines. It is related to angular resolution because stars of different spectral types emit different amounts of energy at different wavelengths, which can affect the measurement of bolometric flux and therefore the calculation of angular resolution.

4. How does temperature play a role in deriving angular resolution?

Temperature is an important factor in deriving angular resolution because it affects the amount and distribution of energy emitted by a star. Higher temperature stars emit more energy and at shorter wavelengths, which can improve the angular resolution. However, extremely high temperatures can also cause distortion and blurring in images, which can decrease the angular resolution.

5. Can angular resolution be improved by using different telescopes or instruments?

Yes, angular resolution can be improved by using different telescopes or instruments with higher resolution capabilities. For example, interferometers can combine the light from multiple telescopes to achieve a higher angular resolution than a single telescope. Adaptive optics can also improve angular resolution by correcting for atmospheric distortion.