Double Degree: Physics + Sociology - Is It Difficult?

• Programs
  • Thread starter misogynisticfeminist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of pursuing a double degree in physics and sociology and whether it would be difficult or beneficial. Some suggest taking sociology as a minor or learning about it on your own, while others share their experience with double majors and minors. It is also mentioned that planning a schedule and completing both majors in four years can be challenging. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to consider one major and one minor instead.
misogynisticfeminist
I may intend on doing a double degree when I enter the university in the future. But I wonder is it really very difficult. The few reasons as to why I want to do a double degree is because that my interest lie in both physics as well as the human sciences, and sometimes I feel "incomplete" if I just focus on one at anyone time. I am thinking of a degree in physics, as well as sociology. But is it going to be difficult as these are fields which are somewhat unrelated. Has any of you done it before?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have an interest in sociology, then why not minor in it, or just take some classes in it as electives? Doing a double major can end up extending the amount of time it will take you to graduate, especially since these degrees are going to have extremely different non-overlapping requirements.

I know just how you feel, and I advise you that you don't need to get a degree in something to learn about it.

You can minor in it, as Vega suggested, or for that matter, it is possible to learn things on your own.

There's always the chance to learn from reading and studying on your own, with nothing but a library card. Learning doesn't always need a classroom, although it does make it easier.

Also, minors are normally easy to acheive. At my university, a physics minor is only 4 classes above what I needed to take as an Engineer. Mathematics is only 2 classes above what I needed. The way I see it, I would be dumb not to take a few extra classes and get a few extra minors! The difference between 12 credit hours and 15 credit hours a semester is not all that bad.

It is a very good option if they offer a minor in one of your subjects.

Edit: This will also give you some extra course work to go off of if you decide to go back and get a second undergrad or a masters in the other field.

I am doing a double major right now for math and biology and I think that it is not too bad (you just have to work harder, that's all...and summer classes help if you decided to slack off during the main quarters). The only problem that I am having is some of the classes are offered at a certain quarter only (the U. i go to is on a quarter system), so sometimes planning your schedule can be difficult. You may end up one quarter with too many classes that you need to take and another with just two or so of them. And this can be a problem to as whether you can finish both of your majors in the 4 yrs period or not. Also at the U. that I am attending, once you started with 2 majors, you got to stick with it b/c if you drop one, they will not allow you to come back and redo it when you finish the other one.
:rolleyes: But now that I think about it ...may be I should have just go with one minor and one major at the start ..it would be much less work :approve: . You only need 4 upper division math classes for a minor and about 13 for a major in math. I think math is fun and interesting though, so I can't complain there.

Is it possible to get more than one minor?

1. Is it possible to pursue a double degree in physics and sociology?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a double degree in physics and sociology, but it may require careful planning and time management. Both degrees have their own set of required courses and may have overlapping classes, but with proper planning, it is achievable.

2. How difficult is it to balance the workload of two different degrees?

Balancing the workload of two different degrees can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It will require good time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from academic advisors to ensure that the workload is manageable.

3. Can a double degree in physics and sociology lead to a successful career?

Yes, a double degree in physics and sociology can open up a variety of career opportunities. It can provide a strong foundation in both scientific and social sciences, making graduates well-rounded and attractive to employers in various industries.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a double degree in physics and sociology?

Pursuing a double degree in physics and sociology can provide a unique perspective on how the natural and social world interact. It can also enhance critical thinking skills and provide a diverse skillset that can be applied to a wide range of career paths.

5. Are there any specific skills or prerequisites needed to pursue a double degree in physics and sociology?

There are no specific skills or prerequisites needed to pursue a double degree in physics and sociology. However, having a strong foundation in mathematics and a passion for both physics and sociology may make the coursework more manageable and enjoyable.