Internal Resistance in a Battery

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential difference across the terminals of a battery and how it changes with different currents and directions. The question at hand is to find the internal resistance of the battery. The solution involves using equations and solving for the unknown variables, which results in the same answer for both people involved in the conversation.
joshanders_84
Hey I am confused as to the answer to this question; not sure exactly how to figure out what the answer is because it is not a constant resistance. Any help appreciated:

The potential difference across the terminals of a battery is V_1 when there is a current of I_1 in the battery from the negative to the positive terminal. When the current is I_2 in the reverse direction, the potential difference becomes V_2. What is the internal resistance of the battery?

I tried adding and subtracting the two resistances (R_1 = V_1/I_1 and R_2 = V_2/I_2), but that isn't correct, and I'm not sure of what to do. Thanks
Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Call the real voltage of the battery (when it's delivering no current) V, and its internal resistance R.

In the first case V = V_1 + I_1 * R

(Here, some of the battery's real voltage is wasted overcoming the internal resistance, so the measured voltage V_1 is less).

In the second case V2 - V = I_2 * R

(Here, the current is in the opposite direction, so both the battery's real voltage and it's internal resistance oppose the applied current).

So you have a pair of equations and a pair of unknowns. Should be easy...

correct, i get the same answer...
marlon

1. What is internal resistance in a battery?

Internal resistance in a battery refers to the resistance that exists within the battery itself, caused by the materials and design of the battery. It can affect the battery's ability to deliver a consistent flow of electricity.

2. How does internal resistance affect the performance of a battery?

Internal resistance can cause voltage drops within the battery, leading to a decrease in its overall performance. This can result in a shorter battery life and reduced power output.

3. What factors contribute to the internal resistance of a battery?

The internal resistance of a battery can be influenced by the type of materials used for the electrodes, the design and construction of the battery, and the age and condition of the battery.

4. Can internal resistance be reduced or eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate internal resistance, it can be reduced by using high-quality materials and designs in the battery, as well as ensuring proper maintenance and care of the battery.

5. How can I measure the internal resistance of a battery?

Internal resistance can be measured using a multimeter, by connecting it to the battery's terminals and measuring the voltage drop when a load is applied. This can give an indication of the health and performance of the battery.