Find c for Joint PDF fX,Y(x,y)

• Thread starter semidevil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Joint Pdf
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability of Y being between 0 and 2/5, given that X = 3/4, and finding the value of c in a joint probability function. The solution involves integration and solving for c by setting the integral of the function equal to 1.
semidevil
so X and Y have joing pdf f X Y(x, y) = 1/2 for 0 < y < x < 2, and 0 otherwise.

find P(0< Y < 2/5 | X = 3/4)

first, I don't understand how to read the function. So the function is equal to 1/2 when 0 < y < x < 2. And it is equal 0 otherwise.

So I need to find Probabilty Y is between 0 and 2/5, given that X = 3/4? is that what it is asking?

I think this has to do with integration, but what am I integrating? It's a single integeral right? and what do I do w/ the X = 3/4 part?

actually, I got it...so no need for that.

but this one. so f X Y (x,y) = c(y + x)y for 0<x<1 and 0<y<1.

I need to find c.

So I found the marginals, and what do I do to find c? am I suppose to put it against something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The total probability may be equal 1, right?

You don't need to find the marginals. The integral of the function from -infinity to infinity for both x and y (which is the same as the integral from 0 to 1 for both x and y in this case) equals 1, and you just solve for c.

1. How do I find the value of c for a joint PDF?

To find the value of c for a joint PDF, you will need to use the properties of a probability distribution. Specifically, you will need to integrate the joint PDF over all possible values of x and y. The resulting integral should equal 1, and you can solve for c using algebraic manipulation.

2. Why is it important to find c for a joint PDF?

Finding c for a joint PDF is important because it allows you to determine the exact probability of a particular event occurring. Without the correct value of c, the joint PDF is not a valid probability distribution.

3. Can I use any value for c in a joint PDF?

No, the value of c in a joint PDF must be chosen in such a way that the resulting distribution is a valid probability distribution. This means that c must be a positive value and the integral of the joint PDF over all possible values of x and y must equal 1.

4. Is there a specific method for finding c in a joint PDF?

Yes, there is a specific method for finding c in a joint PDF. This involves using the properties of a probability distribution, specifically the fact that the integral of the joint PDF over all possible values of x and y must equal 1. You can use this fact to solve for c using algebraic manipulation.

5. Are there any assumptions or limitations when finding c for a joint PDF?

Yes, there are some assumptions and limitations when finding c for a joint PDF. The main assumption is that the joint PDF represents a valid probability distribution, meaning that it must be non-negative and integrate to 1. Additionally, the method for finding c may not work for all joint PDFs, particularly if the joint PDF is complex or does not have a closed-form solution.