Transition matrix, Jacobian.

In summary, the transition matrix and the Jacobian are both related to changes of basis, but the Jacobian specifically gives a change of basis at each point in a change of coordinates.
HMT
Hi:

I`m new here, can someone tell me which is the difference between the transition matrix and the Jacobian?, I did some exercises of the both topics, but How is it related?

Thanks for the attention

Sorry for my English writing, but English is not my native language.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

by transition matrix, do you mean change-of-basis matrix?

Jacobian gives linear approximation of a smooth function between two euclidean spaces at given point.

Yes the transition matrix & change of basis matrix means the same, but for example in the change of coordinates, we need to get the Jacobian of the transformation (for the metric tensor etc), but I`m now feel confused between the matrix of the linear transformation, and the Jacobian of a transformation.

HMT said:
Yes the transition matrix & change of basis matrix means the same, but for example in the change of coordinates, we need to get the Jacobian of the transformation (for the metric tensor etc), but I`m now feel confused between the matrix of the linear transformation, and the Jacobian of a transformation.

In a change of coordinates, the Jacobian gives a change of basis at each point of the domain. The basis change change varies from point to point.

Hello, and welcome to the community! The transition matrix and Jacobian are both mathematical concepts used in different fields of science and engineering. While they may seem similar, they serve different purposes and have different applications.

The transition matrix is a square matrix that represents the transition probabilities between states in a system. It is often used in the field of probability and statistics to model the behavior of a system over time. The values in the matrix represent the likelihood of transitioning from one state to another, and the matrix can be used to make predictions about future states of the system.

On the other hand, the Jacobian is a matrix of partial derivatives used in calculus and linear algebra. It is used to describe the relationship between two sets of variables, and is often used in the study of systems that change over time. In this sense, it can be related to the transition matrix as it also involves the concept of change over time, but the Jacobian is more focused on the relationship between variables rather than predicting future states.

In summary, the transition matrix and Jacobian serve different purposes and are used in different contexts. However, they both play important roles in understanding and analyzing systems in various fields of science and engineering. I hope this helps clarify the difference between the two concepts. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a mathematical tool used to describe the probabilities of transitioning from one state to another in a system. It is commonly used in fields such as economics, engineering, and physics.

What is the purpose of a transition matrix?

The purpose of a transition matrix is to model and analyze the behavior of a system over time. It can help predict future states of the system based on current states and transitions.

How is a transition matrix constructed?

A transition matrix is typically constructed using a set of transition probabilities, which represent the likelihood of moving from one state to another. These probabilities are organized into a square matrix, with the rows and columns representing the states of the system.

What is the role of the Jacobian in a transition matrix?

The Jacobian is a matrix of partial derivatives that is used to calculate the transition probabilities in a dynamic system. It allows for the incorporation of changes in the system over time, making the transition matrix more accurate.

What are some applications of transition matrix and Jacobian?

Transition matrix and Jacobian have various applications in fields such as finance, biology, and physics. They are commonly used in stock market analysis, population dynamics, and modeling of chemical reactions, among others.