Can You Create a Circuit That Automatically Shorts 2 Cables Every Second?

• Thread starter roboticmehdi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: Basically, someone is looking for a circuit that will short two cables for 0.5 seconds every second. They explain that they need a circuit with zero resistance for 0.5 seconds and infinity resistance for 0.5 seconds. They also mention a 555 timer circuit, a reed switch, and a logic controller.
roboticmehdi
hi everybody. i need a circuit which will short 2 cables for 0.5 seconds every second. let me explain like this:

-----------------

in the ugly drawing above you can see two wires with a potential difference of 2.4 volts connected to a box. the box just represents the circuit that i want to make with your help.
this box must have zero resistance for 0.5 seconds and infinity resistance for 0.5 seconds. so its like a pulsating current with 1Hz across this two wires. Can you guys help me with this ? i have circuit elements like resistor, capacitor, leds, transistors(only BDX53C, BD243C, TIP41C and BDX54C), and etc... The timing doesn't have to be so strict, 0.5s+-0.05 is fine. The current that will be drawn during shorting is not high, not higher than 100ma. I need the simplest and most efficient circuit that you know :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
sorry about that drawing, it didnt come out like i wanted. here is correction:

2.4v ----------------|BOX|--------------- 0

Simplest?

Put BD243C npn transistor across those cables(collector to 2.4V side). Use a 555 timer for sending square wave pulses to base.

http://pokit.org/get/img/107e57d75a27c44c658941c60d53b2b7.jpg [Broken]

Here are the values for 555 timer.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always drive a little reed or telecom relay if desired. Those are pretty quick and will give as close to a dead-short as you can get.
The 555 timer circuit above should be able to drive one of those without issue.

If you suspect you may need to alter timings etc and don't mind spending a few extra pounds you con get a simple logic controller with relay outputs, a basic logic programme will give you an unlimited output function with easy alterations and time scaling down to the thousands of a second.
You can get a starter kit and i promise you, you'll have programmed it within the hour even with no experience, the best thing is you can save the programme and load a new one for your next project.

1. What is an automaticly shorting circuit?

An automaticly shorting circuit is a type of electronic circuit that is designed to quickly and automatically disconnect power in the event of a short circuit. This helps to prevent damage to the circuit and any connected devices.

2. How does an automaticly shorting circuit work?

An automaticly shorting circuit typically uses a fuse, relay, or other type of component that will quickly disconnect the circuit when a short is detected. This is often done by monitoring the current flowing through the circuit and triggering the disconnect when it exceeds a certain threshold.

3. What are the benefits of using an automaticly shorting circuit?

The main benefit of using an automaticly shorting circuit is that it helps to protect the circuit and any connected devices from damage. It can also help to prevent fires or other safety hazards that can result from a short circuit.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using an automaticly shorting circuit?

One potential drawback of using an automaticly shorting circuit is that it may cause disruptions in the operation of the circuit, as it will disconnect the power whenever a short is detected. Additionally, some automaticly shorting circuits may be more expensive and complex to implement compared to traditional circuits.

5. Can an automaticly shorting circuit be used in all types of circuits?

In general, an automaticly shorting circuit can be used in most types of electronic circuits. However, it is important to carefully consider the specific needs and requirements of the circuit before implementing an automaticly shorting circuit, as it may not always be necessary or suitable for every application.