General solution to partial differential equation (PDE)

In summary, the conversation discusses a PDE and a solution in the form of two unknown functions. However, due to unclear terminology and inconsistent equations, it is difficult to determine the exact problem and find a general solution. Assistance is requested in understanding and solving the problem.
manchester20
Hi,
I have the following PDE[itex]-S\frac{\partial\vartheta}{\partial\tau}+\frac{1}{2}\sigma^2\frac{X^2}{S}\frac{\partial^2\vartheta}{\partial\xi^{2}} + [\frac{S}{T} + (r-D)X]\frac{\partial\vartheta}{\partial\xi}[/itex]I am asked to seek a solution of the form [itex]\vartheta=\alpha_1(\tau)\xi + \alpha_0(\tau)[/itex] and give a general solution for [itex]\alpha_1(\tau)[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_0(\tau)[/itex]

where we have
[itex]\tau=T-t[/itex]
and
[itex]\xi=\frac{t}{T}-\frac{X}{S}[/itex]

I have tried doing the partial differentials of [itex]\vartheta[/itex] with respect to τ and ε, but the answer doesn't allow me to get a general solution for the two unknown functions of τ.
If anyone could help i would be really grateful.
Thanks

NOTE: the word 'partial' in the equation should be a symbol for the partial derivative.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
manchester20 said:
Hi,
I have the following PDE

[itex]-S\frac{\partial\vartheta}{\partial\tau}+\frac{1}{2}\sigma^2\frac{X^2}{S}\frac{\partial^2\vartheta}{\partial\xi^{2}} + [\frac{S}{T} + (r-D)X]\frac{\partial\vartheta}{\partial\xi}[/itex]

I am asked to seek a solution of the form [itex]\vartheta=\alpha_1(\tau)\xi + \alpha_0(\tau)[/itex] and give a general solution for [itex]\alpha_1(\tau)[/itex] and [itex]\alpha_0(\tau)[/itex]

where we have
[itex]\tau=T-t[/itex]
and
[itex]\xi=\frac{t}{T}-\frac{X}{S}[/itex]

I have tried doing the partial differentials of [itex]\vartheta[/itex] with respect to τ and ε, but the answer doesn't allow me to get a general solution for the two unknown functions of τ.
If anyone could help i would be really grateful.
Thanks

NOTE: the word 'partial' in the equation should be a symbol for the partial derivative.

Hi !

Sorry to say, but the wording of the problem seems very fishy (see attachment)

Attachments

• Ambiguous PDE.JPG
    Ambiguous PDE.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 546

What is a partial differential equation (PDE)?

A partial differential equation (PDE) is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It describes the relationship between these variables and their rates of change, and is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other fields to model complex physical systems.

What is a general solution to a PDE?

A general solution to a PDE is a mathematical expression that satisfies the PDE for all possible values of the variables and their derivatives. It is a solution that includes all possible solutions to the PDE, and may contain arbitrary constants.

How is a general solution to a PDE different from a particular solution?

A particular solution to a PDE is a specific solution that satisfies the PDE for a given set of initial or boundary conditions. It is a subset of the general solution, and is obtained by assigning specific values to the arbitrary constants in the general solution.

What are the methods used to find a general solution to a PDE?

There are several methods used to find a general solution to a PDE, including separation of variables, method of characteristics, and Fourier analysis. The choice of method depends on the type of PDE and the boundary/initial conditions given.

Why is finding a general solution to a PDE important?

A general solution to a PDE allows us to understand the behavior of a physical system over time, and can be used to predict future states of the system. It is also important in developing more advanced mathematical models and in solving more complex problems in various fields of science and engineering.