Any good physics books with the maths as well

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of finding a popular science book that covers both the physics and the mathematics behind it. The suggestion is made to use MIT's OCW, specifically their 18.01 course, as it covers a large portion of the material needed for introductory physics courses. The book "The Road to Reality" is recommended for its in-depth coverage of both physics and mathematics. Other resources such as "The Mechanical Universe" courses are also suggested. The conversation concludes with the understanding that a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra, is necessary to fully understand and appreciate physics.
KeplerJunior
I have read a lot of popular science books which have given me good knowledge about physics but none seem to have the maths. I want to know if there's any you can recommend that have the physics and the maths behind the physics. I'd prefer them to not be to complex but if that's not possible i don't mind.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you ever used MIT's OCW? I've briefly taken a look at their 18.01 course and throughout C1-C4 of A-Level mathematics, you will cover roughly 3/4 of the material they cover there. 18.01 is a prerequisite for their two introductory physics courses, 8.01 and 8.02. Why not go through 18.01, seeing as it will probably help you for A-Level maths as well, and then try doing 8.01 and 8.02! Actually, you might see *part* of 8.01 in your mechanics modules as well!

I am not suggesting that you neglect your classes at school at all. Make those your priority. If you'd like good grades at A-Level, I suspect that a combination of your classes at school and past exam questions will be better preparation than either course. Nevertheless, I think you will be served well by OCW. All three courses mentioned are on OCW Scholar (basically, it's a special variant of the course that is designed for independent study) as well.

I am currently reading (and blogging about) the popular physics book: The Road to Reality - by Penrose.

He claims two things. This is a book for the lay reader and that he is not going to skip the math. I think he accomplishes the second task. If you have taken a calculus series, you will probably get a lot out of this book (be prepared to see a lot of advanced math!)

From what I read in your post, this book seems to be just what you are asking for. It contains a ton of (theoretical) physics, the really deep and interesting kind. He builds up all the math you need for it, which is also very deep and interesting in itself. Don't be put off by it's length; all the chapters are fairly short and that makes it manageable.

I'd say Penrose, these three books:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642214517/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1461407052/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0964350440/?tag=pfamazon01-20

& the mechanical universe:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mechanical_Universe
http://documentaries-plus.blogspot.com/2010/08/mechanical-universe.html
will turn you into a physicist. It only took the first four chapters of Penrose to convince me to go back to college but had I the other three books things would have been a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks these are exactly what i''m looking for

I took a look at the road to reality in the bookshop today. It looked quite complicated are you sure i'll be able to understand it. The mechanical universe courses look good by the way thanks for showing me them.

No way in the world, that's why you buy it.

sponsoredwalk said:
No way in the world, that's why you buy it.
:rofl: true

KeplerJunior said:
I have read a lot of popular science books which have given me good knowledge about physics but none seem to have the maths. I want to know if there's any you can recommend that have the physics and the maths behind the physics. I'd prefer them to not be to complex but if that's not possible i don't mind.

Really, trying to short-cut the normal sequence of learning physics is difficult. Look at the usual undergrad curriculum for physics. Two to three calculus classes and a linear algebra course are required to understand anything in physics past general hand-waving. You don't have to do them all before starting to learn the real basics of physics, but that is what you are looking at if you want to get anywhere.

Penrose will be an exercise in frustration if you don't have this (and more).

1. What are some good physics books that also include the necessary math?

Some popular physics books that also cover the necessary math include "Fundamentals of Physics" by Halliday, Resnick, and Walker, "University Physics" by Young and Freedman, and "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths.

2. Are there any physics books that cater to specific levels of math proficiency?

Yes, there are physics books that cater to different levels of math proficiency. For beginners, "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Paul A. Tipler and Gene Mosca is a good option. For more advanced readers, "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor and "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller are recommended.

3. Can you recommend a physics book that explains the math in an easy-to-understand manner?

"The Theoretical Minimum: What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky is a great book for beginners as it explains the math concepts in a clear and accessible way.

4. Are there any physics books that focus specifically on the math behind physics concepts?

"Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas is a comprehensive book that delves into the mathematical principles behind various physics concepts. "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" by K. F. Riley, M. P. Hobson, and S. J. Bence is also a highly recommended resource.

5. Are there any online resources for learning the math behind physics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning the math behind physics. Some popular ones include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. Additionally, many textbooks also have accompanying online resources and practice problems to help with understanding the math concepts.