Applying to Grad Schools Question

• Schools
  • Thread starter Maffgeek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Schools
In summary, the speaker received a somewhat disappointing PGRE score of 820/76% and is wondering if this will affect their chances of getting into top schools like Stanford and Berkeley for a physics PhD. They attend a big state school with a top 50ish physics program and have a GPA/Major GPA of 3.83/~3.9. They also recently co-authored a publication in Nature with a famous professor who is willing to write them a good recommendation. However, they have not discussed their chances with their research adviser yet.
Maffgeek
So I just got my PGRE score back and received a somewhat disappointing 820/76%

I was wondering if applying to top schools like Stanford and Berkeley for a physics PhD is out the question now.

I go to a big state school with a top 50ish physics program for undergrad with a GPA/Major GPA of 3.83/~3.9.

I recently received a publication in Nature as a co-author with a famous professor, and he is willing to write me a good recommendation. Is this enough to make going to a top 10 school realistic?

Physics news on Phys.org
What does your research adviser think of your chances?

I haven't talked to him yet about it much. I just finished my junior year and just found out my PGRE score today.

1. What are the requirements for applying to grad school?

The requirements for applying to grad school vary depending on the program and university. Generally, applicants will need to have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, high GPA, letters of recommendation, and a strong personal statement. Some programs may also require GRE scores or prerequisite coursework.

2. How do I choose which grad school to apply to?

Choosing a grad school often involves researching different programs, faculty, and resources offered by universities. Consider your career goals, program requirements, and location when making your decision. It can also be helpful to talk to current students or alumni to get a better understanding of the program.

3. When is the best time to apply to grad school?

The best time to apply to grad school depends on the program and university. Some programs have specific application deadlines, while others may have rolling admissions. Generally, it is recommended to start the application process at least a year in advance to allow time for test-taking, gathering materials, and writing a strong personal statement.

4. How important are GRE scores in the grad school application process?

GRE scores can be an important factor in the grad school application process, but they are not the only consideration. Many universities also look at an applicant's GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. Some programs may also have minimum GRE score requirements, while others may place more emphasis on other aspects of the application.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when applying to grad school?

Some common mistakes to avoid when applying to grad school include missing application deadlines, not following application instructions, and submitting a weak personal statement. It is also important to proofread all materials and to have others review them for errors. Additionally, not researching the program and university thoroughly before applying can also be a mistake.