Why do long wavelengths travel further than short wavelengths?

In summary: Yes,it's all about the size of the objects encountered in the way.Water/air molecules are definitely not an issue for sound waves...And also big objects.Yet one may argue about "edge diffraction"...which is where the wave is diffracted around an object that creates a distinct boundary between the diffracted and original waves. For example, the edge of your hand would be an example of edge diffraction.
Firefox123
What is it that allows longer wavelengths to travel further than shorter wavelengths?

Is it because of diffraction properties or is it related to the energy of the wave?

Or perhaps a combination of several things...?

Thanks.

Russ

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're taking about radio waves aren't you? If I remember corrently, it's because longwave is diffracted by the Earth's atmosphere and so can 'cling' to the surface of the earth, whereas shortwave just goes out into space.

You are going to have to be a lot more precise! Sound waves?? or Electro-magnetic (light and radio) waves. In the atmosphere or open space (sound waves, of course, cannot exist without a medium- electromagnetic waves travel through open space any distance without regard to their frequency).

Low frequency (long wave length) sound waves in the atmosphere (or water- ask any whale!) travel farther than high frequency (short wave length) sound waves because the short wave lengths are more easily absorbed by the molecules in the air.

Hey |2eason...

Thanks for the reply...

|2eason said:
I think you're taking about radio waves aren't you? If I remember corrently, it's because longwave is diffracted by the Earth's atmosphere and so can 'cling' to the surface of the earth, whereas shortwave just goes out into space.

Radio waves would be one example...I was under the impression that this was also true for pressure/compression waves and for transverse waves such as water waves...

So is this true for waves in general...and if so, then why?

Russ

Hey there HallsofIvy...

HallsofIvy said:
You are going to have to be a lot more precise! Sound waves?? or Electro-magnetic (light and radio) waves. In the atmosphere or open space (sound waves, of course, cannot exist without a medium- electromagnetic waves travel through open space any distance without regard to their frequency).

Right...I wasnt trying to make a general connection between wavelength and distance...since, as you say, E-mag waves will travel through empty space independent of frequency...

I was looking more for general reasons a long wavelength would travel a longer distance than a short wavelength in some environment...I suspect it is related to the two things already mentioned in the responses thus far...diffraction and absorption...but I want to verify I am correct before I begin looking for specifics for various waves...

HallsofIvy said:
Low frequency (long wave length) sound waves in the atmosphere (or water- ask any whale!) travel farther than high frequency (short wave length) sound waves because the short wave lengths are more easily absorbed by the molecules in the air.

So for sound waves...is absorption the main difference? Does diffraction play an important role as well or is it secondary to absorption?

Thanks..

Russ

What's the main charateristics diffracted waves must have...?

Daniel.

Hey there dextercioby...

dextercioby said:
What's the main charateristics diffracted waves must have...?

Daniel.

Im not sure what you are asking by the question...are you asking me what I think the charateristics are that are necessary for diffraction to occur?

If that is the question then my answer would be the wavelength of the wave compared to the physical dimensions of the object that the wave is being diffracted around...

Am I understanding your question here or did you mean something else?

Russ

I meant exactly that.Now,if you know that,what can u say about diffracting sound waves...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
I meant exactly that.Now,if you know that,what can u say about diffracting sound waves...?

Daniel.

Well...I would say that it seems like the longer the wavelength of the wave...the less the wave will be distorted if it is diffracted around an object...

Russ

Yes,it's all about the size of the objects encountered in the way.Water/air molecules are definitely not an issue for sound waves...And also big objects.Yet one may argue about "edge diffraction"...

Daniel.

Short water waves governed by surface tension move swifter than longer capillary waves.

dextercioby said:
Yes,it's all about the size of the objects encountered in the way.Water/air molecules are definitely not an issue for sound waves...And also big objects.Yet one may argue about "edge diffraction"...

Daniel.

So would you say that the main reason for the difference in distance is related to diffraction or would absorption be equally as important?

...I am not very familiar with "edge diffraction"...

Russ

arildno said:
Short water waves governed by surface tension move swifter than longer capillary waves.

When you say a water wave governed by surface tension it sounds like you are implying that there are water waves governed by something other than surface tension...

Is this correct?

I really do not know what capillary waves are...I will have to look into that...

I don't know or understand a lot about physics, math, or engineering...so I am very much a beginner.

Russ

steadele said:
So would you say that the main reason for the difference in distance is related to diffraction or would absorption be equally as important?

...I am not very familiar with "edge diffraction"...

Russ

The point i was trying to make was that in the case of the sound waves,it's more about "damping" via absorbtion as KE for the molecules,rather than diffraction and I've given you the reason;air molecules are much smaller than wavelengths of the sound waves... :wink:

Are u then familiar with the electromagnetic theory of light and especially scalar diffraction...?

Daniel.

steadele said:
When you say a water wave governed by surface tension it sounds like you are implying that there are water waves governed by something other than surface tension...

Is this correct?

I really do not know what capillary waves are...I will have to look into that...

I don't know or understand a lot about physics, math, or engineering...so I am very much a beginner.
Russ
"Capillary waves" means the same as "water waves governed by surface tension".

And yes, for most water waves, gravity is the most important force governing wave propagation.
Capillary forces (i.e, the effects of surface tension) only become important (for water, that is) when the wavelengths are about 10-20 cm's or less.

dextercioby said:
The point i was trying to make was that in the case of the sound waves,it's more about "damping" via absorbtion as KE for the molecules,rather than diffraction and I've given you the reason;air molecules are much smaller than wavelengths of the sound waves... :wink:

:rofl: Ooops...I must have misread your reply...my mistake...

Since air molecules are so much smaller than the wavelengths of sound waves the effects due to diffraction are minimal...

To be honest I've never studied absorption of different wavelengths in any depth...

dextercioby said:
Are u then familiar with the electromagnetic theory of light and especially scalar diffraction...?

Emag theory...yes...I have a Bachelors in Electrical Engineering and have just started working towards my Masters with a focus in Electromagnetics (I work with antennas and radar in my civilian job)...but I am still very much a beginner at these topics...

As far as scalar diffraction...I do not remember ever studying that or even hearing that term before...so I am not sure what it is...

Russ

The scalar theory of electromagnetic wave diffraction assumes the fields/potential to be scalar and from that builds the whole theory of Fresnel and Fraunhofer diffraction.About 350 pages in the book by Born & Wolf...

Daniel.

What does it mean for a molecule to absorb a sound wave? I was under the impression that a sound wave existed by moving the molecules...does 'absorbing' mean the molecule just doesn't move?

1. Why do long wavelengths travel further than short wavelengths?

The distance a wave travels is directly related to its wavelength. Longer wavelengths travel further because they have lower frequencies and therefore, less energy. This allows them to travel through different mediums with less resistance and maintain their amplitude over longer distances.

2. How do long and short wavelengths differ in terms of energy?

Longer wavelengths have lower frequencies and therefore, less energy. Shorter wavelengths have higher frequencies and more energy. This is because energy is directly proportional to frequency, so the higher the frequency, the more energy the wave has.

3. Can long wavelengths travel through different mediums more easily?

Yes, longer wavelengths have less energy and can easily travel through different mediums with less resistance. This is why low frequency radio waves, which have very long wavelengths, can travel through walls and buildings without losing much of their energy.

4. How is the distance a wave travels related to its wavelength?

The distance a wave travels is directly proportional to its wavelength. This means that as the wavelength increases, the distance the wave travels also increases. This is because longer wavelengths have lower frequencies and therefore, less energy, allowing them to travel through different mediums with less resistance and maintain their amplitude over longer distances.

5. Are long wavelengths more suitable for long-range communication?

Yes, long wavelengths are more suitable for long-range communication because they can travel further without losing much of their energy. This is why long distance radio communication often uses low frequency radio waves, which have very long wavelengths, to transmit signals over long distances.