The condition for an inflection point

In summary, the conversation is about investigating the properties of third order Beziers and determining inflection points. The website mentioned in the conversation suggests that the cross product of the first and second derivatives of the parametric representation of the curve being zero indicates an inflection point. The person asking the question is unsure if this is a well-known fact or an original formula of the website author. They also mention needing to use this method in a GPLed software, but the website claims copyright. The other person suggests looking up "curl of a gradient field" as it relates to the tendency to rotate and is zero at inflection points.
jamadagni
Hello people. I'm actually a humanities scholar but who has retained his interest in maths from high school.

Well curiously, in relation to one of my projects I'm investigating the properties of third order Beziers. Given the two nodes and control points of a third order Bezier, I needed to determine analytically any inflection points it may contain. I came across this web page which asserts that when the cross product of the first and second derivatives of the parametric representation of the curve is zero, then the curve has an inflection point.

Now I wonder whether this is just a well known textbook fact or some original formula of the website author. Sorry if the question is silly, but basically I need to incorporate this method of determining inflection points in a GPLed piece of software but the website says "material here is copyright". So I'd like to ensure that it is just a well known mathematical fact which is simply well explained on that website.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up "curl of a gradient field". Roughly speaking it's a measure for the tendency to rotate, and this is zero at inflection points: the function cannot decide between "clockwise and counterclockwise".

1. What is an inflection point?

An inflection point is a point on a curve where the direction of the curve changes from being concave upwards to concave downwards, or vice versa.

2. What is the condition for an inflection point?

The condition for an inflection point is that the second derivative of the curve at that point must equal zero.

3. Why is the second derivative important for identifying inflection points?

The second derivative tells us the rate of change of the slope of the curve, which is necessary for determining the direction of the curve at a given point and therefore identifying an inflection point.

4. Can a curve have more than one inflection point?

Yes, a curve can have multiple inflection points if the second derivative changes sign at different points along the curve.

5. How can the condition for an inflection point be used in real-world applications?

The condition for an inflection point can be used in analyzing data and making predictions, such as in economics or engineering where changes in trends or patterns can indicate a potential turning point or shift in the system.