Angular momentum: rotating rod and a ball

In summary, this conversation discusses the motion of a rod and a ball falling towards the floor. The question is posed as to which object will reach the floor first. The equations for torque and moment of inertia are mentioned, and the acceleration of the edge of the rod is calculated. The conversation ends with a question about the finish line and acceleration.
Karol

Homework Statement

A rod of length l swivels around an axis, denoted O in the drawing, located on the floor.
The initial position is β=45°.
A ball B is left to fall at the same time the rod is left to rotate.
Who will arrive, first, to the floor: the ball or the edge A of the rod

Homework Equations

T(torque)=Iα
Moment of inertia of the rod around it's edge:
[tex]I_o=\frac{1}{3}ml^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The torque at different angles α:
[tex]\frac{l}{2}mg\cdot \cos \beta=\frac{1}{3}ml^2 \cdot \alpha[/tex]
And the geometric relation:
[tex]l \cdot \alpha=a_A[/tex]
Where aA is the acceleration of the edge of the rod.
[tex]\rightarrow a_A=\frac{3lg\cdot \cos \beta}{2}[/tex]
I integrate aA in the range of β=45° to β=0° and get a number for the velocity of the edge of the rod A at the floor, but i cannot integrate further this velocity in order to make it equal to the length of the arc and extract the time.

Attachments

• Rod.jpg
    Rod.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:
[tex]\rightarrow a_A=\frac{3lg\cdot \cos \beta}{2}[/tex]

Note that the units don't match on the left and right sides.

Maybe you won't need to find the value of the time to answer the question. If we race such that your acceleration is always greater than mine, who will get to the finish line first?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of the rotational motion of an object. It is the product of the object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity.

2. How is angular momentum related to a rotating rod and a ball?

In the case of a rotating rod and a ball, the angular momentum is conserved. This means that the sum of the angular momentum of the rod and the ball remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular momentum?

The formula for calculating angular momentum is L = Iω, where L is angular momentum, I is moment of inertia, and ω is angular velocity. For a rotating rod and a ball, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula I = MR², where M is the mass of the object and R is the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect angular momentum?

The distribution of mass affects angular momentum by changing the moment of inertia. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater angular momentum, even if they have the same angular velocity as an object with a smaller moment of inertia.

5. Can angular momentum be changed?

Yes, angular momentum can be changed by changing the moment of inertia or the angular velocity of an object. External forces can also change the angular momentum of a system by altering the object's rotational motion.