How far is the ray displaced as a result of traveling through the gla

• Thread starter lizaliiu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ray
In summary: In fact, the path that passes through the glass is 4.26 mm longer than the path that doesn't.In summary, the ray of light is displaced by 5.671mm as a result of traveling through the glass, with the actual displacement being 4.26 mm longer than the non-refracted path.
lizaliiu
1. A ray of light passes from air through dense flint glass and then back into air. The angle of incidence on the first glass surface is 63.5°. The thickness of the glass is 4.26 mm; its front and back surfaces are parallel. How far is the ray displaced as a result of traveling through the glass?

this is what I tried...

1sin65.5=1.6sinA
sinA=0.5593
A=34.01°

x=4.26tan63.5°-4.26tan34.01°
= 5.671mm

I am no sure where i did wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org

lizaliiu said:
1. A ray of light passes from air through dense flint glass and then back into air. The angle of incidence on the first glass surface is 63.5°. The thickness of the glass is 4.26 mm; its front and back surfaces are parallel. How far is the ray displaced as a result of traveling through the glass?

this is what I tried...

1sin65.5=1.6sinA
sinA=0.5593
A=34.01°

= 5.671mm

I am no sure where i did wrong...
You really need to provide a sketch of the situation for us to be of much help.

lizaliiu said:
= 5.671mm
That's the distance between the point where the ray exited the glass and the point where it would have exited the glass had its index been 1. That is not the same as the distance between the two paths.

1. How is the displacement of a ray measured through a glass?

The displacement of a ray through a glass is measured using the angle of refraction. This is the angle between the incident ray and the normal line (a line perpendicular to the surface of the glass) as the ray enters and exits the glass.

2. Can the displacement of a ray through a glass be negative?

Yes, the displacement of a ray through a glass can be negative if the angle of refraction is greater than the angle of incidence. This means that the ray is bent away from the normal line, resulting in a negative displacement.

3. How does the thickness of the glass affect the displacement of a ray?

The thickness of the glass does not directly affect the displacement of a ray. However, it can affect the angle of refraction, which in turn affects the displacement of the ray. Thicker glass may cause the ray to be bent at a greater angle, resulting in a larger displacement.

4. Does the type of glass impact the displacement of a ray?

Yes, the type of glass can impact the displacement of a ray. Different types of glass have different refractive indices, which determine how much the ray will be bent as it passes through the glass. This can result in varying displacements for the same incident angle.

5. Is there a way to calculate the exact displacement of a ray through a glass?

Yes, the displacement of a ray through a glass can be calculated using the Snell's Law equation: n1sinθ1 = n2sinθ2. This equation takes into account the refractive indices of the two media (in this case, air and glass) and the angles of incidence and refraction. It can be used to determine the exact displacement of the ray in relation to the thickness and type of glass it travels through.