I: Can Grad School and the Navy Reserve Coexist?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of joining the Navy Reserve in order to help with school expenses and potentially earn extra money. The conversation includes consideration of the time commitments and impact on graduate school studies. It is mentioned that certain fields, such as experimental physics, may require more time in the lab. The conversation also touches on the possibility of becoming an officer in the military and the potential for a career in physics after obtaining a PhD. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to try out physics classes and research before making any long-term plans.
Poop-Loops
I was thinking about joining the Navy Reserve for help with school money and some extra cash for myself. Going one weekend a month and 2 weeks during the summer is no biggy as an undergrad, right? I could handle it now at least... But it would cut into my Grad school time. Now, if Grad school is sooooo hard that you can't even allow one weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer for something else, then obviously I'll decide not to go. Is it? I'm a physics major, if that makes any difference.

PL

Physics news on Phys.org
I dunno, i do believe it depends on what subject you are in. I know someone who went to i think Berkeley and was a history or an econ major and his life couldn't even fit in anything fun or extra in for 1 weekend a year lol.

Do grad students do intensive work during summer just as they do work in spring and fall?

It completely depends upon your advisor, and what field you're in. I would say that with some fields of experimental physics, you might need to be in the lab very often. However, I think that, in general, 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks during the summer seems pretty reasonable.

Obviously, the more time you spend away from research, the longer it'll take for you to graduate.

Pengwuino said:
Do grad students do intensive work during summer just as they do work in spring and fall?

What's summer? :tongue2: Teaching duties might be lighter in the summer and you likely won't have any classes to attend (those are usually only near the beginning of your program anyways) but most programs I know of the research is year round. Most math grad students I know still manage a couple weeks of vacation each year, though they usually bring work with them.

Bah, nevermind. Apparently you can't go reserve until you are 21, and I'm 18.

The impression I'm getting is that Grad school is 6 years of hell, am I right?

PL

7-9 if your experimental physicist
6-8 for theoretical physicist

Every other field is less though :D... except 1 it hink... the chair of my physics department made a joke about the 1 degree that takes more but it might have been simply a joke because all i can remember was him saying russian orthodox something lol.

And you should be able to get into the reserves at 18! My nephew became a Marine Reservist at 18... I had a friend who was in the army bootcamp as a junior in high school and I am sure he wasnt held back or anything. And before anyone starts going 'war in iraq means they don't care about rules'... they both signed up before the war was even being thought of.

I wanted to go Army Reserves and they said it would be fine, but on the Navy website it says "If you are between the ages of 21 and 38 and want to Enhance your life TO THE EXTREME!" yadda yadda.

That's bad news, I want to go into experimental physics. That is, unless I could get a real job as a theorist. =/ By real I mean actually make a steady pay that I can at least live off of. Yeah, I guess I could teach, but I'd rather do research.

Well... worst case scenario is that I chicken out of grad school and join the military with a BS in physics, then become an officer. Not too shabby, eh?

PL

Pff, get a phD in physics and you'll easily be able to life off of the salary you find. Unless of course 'living off of' includes monthly cruises around the world :P. I say at least a $30,000 salary would be an absolute guarantee with a phD. I am sure I am not being too optomistic here... because i mean come on, you have a phd lol.

My dad makes $~45k and he only has some technical school (he's a welder/fitter). If I don't make more than him after spending a total of 11+ years in school, then I'll shoot myself.

PL

Well let's just say the ODDS are that you'll quickly make more money then him.

Pengwuino said:
7-9 if your experimental physicist
6-8 for theoretical physicist

Your numbers are way inflated. Princeton pushes for 5 years for their grad students, I believe. You can get an idea of Caltech's numbers here:

http://www.pma.caltech.edu/GSR/gradclasslist.html

However- that list is incomplete, since there are people I know who have gotten degrees who don't have their theses listed yet. But I would say 5-6 for a theorist at Caltech, and 6-7 for an experimentalist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Poop-Loops said:
I wanted to go Army Reserves and they said it would be fine, but on the Navy website it says "If you are between the ages of 21 and 38 and want to Enhance your life TO THE EXTREME!" yadda yadda.

That's bad news, I want to go into experimental physics. That is, unless I could get a real job as a theorist. =/ By real I mean actually make a steady pay that I can at least live off of. Yeah, I guess I could teach, but I'd rather do research.

Well... worst case scenario is that I chicken out of grad school and join the military with a BS in physics, then become an officer. Not too shabby, eh?

PL

Honestly, being that you're 18, it's a bit too early to be planning out that career in physics. Take some physics classes, try some summer research, and see how you like it first.

I thought a theorist basically solves equations and such all day long? Whereas an experimentalist makes does a test and crunches the numbers all day long? Even though they sound the same, I think I'll probably like the experimental side better.

PL

I don't know juvenal... I am not sure how to read Caltech's page as it relates to how long your going to be in grad school but my profs pretty much take the 7-8 years from getting ur BS to when you get your PHD for an experimentalist stance.

Pengwuino said:
I don't know juvenal... I am not sure how to read Caltech's page as it relates to how long your going to be in grad school but my profs pretty much take the 7-8 years from getting ur BS to when you get your PHD for an experimentalist stance.

Look at the entering class year. Then look at the year of the thesis.

One person wrote their thesis in 3 years... Look at the 1995 class. But it ranges from 5-8 years on average, so it's still bleah. =/

PL

1. How do I balance the demands of grad school and the Navy Reserve?

Balancing the demands of grad school and the Navy Reserve can be challenging, but it is possible with careful planning and time management. It is important to communicate with your professors and commanding officers about your obligations and work out a schedule that works for both commitments. Prioritizing tasks and being organized can also help you stay on top of your responsibilities.

2. Will being in the Navy Reserve affect my ability to attend classes or complete assignments?

Being in the Navy Reserve may require you to attend trainings or drills that could conflict with your class schedule. However, most schools have policies in place to accommodate military obligations for their students. You may also be able to work with your professors to make up missed assignments or attend lectures remotely. It is important to communicate with your professors about your situation and make arrangements as needed.

3. Can I use my military experience for credit towards my graduate degree?

Some graduate programs may offer credit for military experience, but it ultimately depends on the specific school and program. It is best to check with your academic advisor or program coordinator to see if this is a possibility for you. Keep in mind that even if you are not able to receive credit, your military experience can still be valuable in your graduate studies.

4. How will being in the Navy Reserve affect my financial aid and tuition costs?

Being in the Navy Reserve may make you eligible for certain tuition assistance programs or scholarships. It is important to research and understand the different financial aid options available to you as a member of the military. Additionally, your school may have specific policies in place for military students, such as deferment of tuition payments during deployments. It is best to contact your school's financial aid office for more information.

5. Can I take a break from my studies to fulfill my military obligations?

Many graduate programs allow for a leave of absence for military members to fulfill their service obligations. However, it is important to check with your school's policies and procedures for taking a leave of absence. You may also want to discuss your options with your academic advisor or program coordinator to ensure that taking a break will not significantly impact your progress towards your degree.