Solving Physics for Human Slingshot Model in Excel

In summary, the person wants to build a human slingshot into a lake and is seeking help with the physics and formulas to create a safe and realistic model in Excel. They want to be able to input variables such as launch speed, range, angle of launch, and maximum height to determine the fourth variable and ensure that the speed and height are within safe limits. However, the thread has been closed and all responses have been deleted due to the dangerous nature of the requested device.
Guaps
I want to build a fun, but potentially dangerous toy - a human slingshot (into a lake). I'm trying to figure out the physics of a contraption like this but it's been 20 years since I took a physics class. The formulas I'm finding online are giving me some unrealistic numbers, so I know I'm doing something wrong. I want to make a model in Excel that I can enter the variables and figure out what is reasonable. So I need the formula/formulas so I can set up the model.

I want to know the formula that if I enter 3 of 4 variables (launch speed, range, angle of launch, and maximum height) I can solve for the fourth. For example, I want to throw someone 100 feet, at a max height of 30 feet at a 30 degree launch angle. What speed would they have to leave the sling shot at? Or I want to launch 100 feet and I can launch them at 40 mph, at about 30 degrees. What is their max height? etc etc etc.

This way I can figure out if the speed/height are within a safe limit. Or if I need to shorten the distance. Or if I can launch farther, etc.

Thanks! You can come try it out if I survive the first launch. haha

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed for Moderation...

EDIT -- thread will stay closed. We do not discuss dangerous activities here on the PF.

EDIT (DaleSpam) - similar devices have led to permanent paralysis and death. The only recommendation from PF on constructing such a device is to NOT do it. All responses to the OP have correspondingly been deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you calculate the force needed for a human slingshot?

To calculate the force needed for a human slingshot, you will need to use the formula F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration. You will also need to take into account the distance the person will be launched and the tension of the slingshot's elastic bands.

2. What factors affect the distance a person can be launched from a human slingshot?

The distance a person can be launched from a human slingshot is affected by several factors, including the force applied, the elasticity of the slingshot's bands, the weight and height of the person, and the angle at which they are launched.

3. How can I use Excel to model a human slingshot?

To model a human slingshot in Excel, you will need to input the necessary data, such as the person's weight and height, the force applied, and the distance they will be launched. You can then use formulas and graphs to calculate and visualize the results.

4. Can Excel be used to solve more complex physics problems, such as projectile motion?

Yes, Excel can be used to solve a variety of physics problems, including projectile motion. By inputting the necessary data and using appropriate formulas, you can calculate the trajectory, velocity, and other variables of a projectile.

5. Are there any limitations to using Excel for physics modeling?

While Excel can be a useful tool for physics modeling, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to handle extremely complex or dynamic systems, and it relies on the accuracy of the input data and formulas used. It is always important to double-check and verify results when using Excel for physics modeling.