Gas Bubble Sinks Trawler Off Scotland Coast - Monash Univ. Study

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Load
In summary, a report published in the American Journal of Physics suggested that a trawler found in a methane crater off the coast of Scotland may have been sunk by a large gas bubble. Some speculate that this phenomenon could also explain mysterious disappearances in the Bermuda Triangle. According to the article, these gas bubbles have the potential to cause aircraft to crash. Methane, being less dense than air, could create a dangerous column of rising gas from the ocean floor.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In a report published in the September issue of the American Journal of Physics, Monash University's Professor Joseph Monaghan and honours student David May said that a trawler discovered resting in a large methane crater off the east coast of Scotland may have been sunk by a huge gas bubble.

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/10/22/1066631498889.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe some cold war secret bubble weapon !

Yeah, maybe methane escaping from sea bed.Or other gases.
Some peeps think Bermuda Triangle 'mysterious disappearence's may be due to this (although that doesn't explain aeroplanes ).
I'm sure I read something about that in New Scientist maybe last year.
I'll post again if I find the article ( don't count on it,as I don't know where all my back issues are)

In Reply To Tom D

Well, according to the article, it says that these gas bubbles 'had the potential to cause aircraft to crash'.

Yes, I think methane is less dense than air, so airplanes can crash if they suddenly hit a columun of rising gas from the ocean floor.

1. What caused the gas bubble that sunk the trawler off the Scotland coast?

According to the Monash University study, the gas bubble was caused by a release of methane gas from the seafloor due to natural geological processes.

2. How common are gas bubbles in the ocean?

Gas bubbles in the ocean are not uncommon, and can be caused by a variety of factors such as volcanic activity, decomposition of organic matter, and release of natural gas from the seafloor. However, large gas bubbles powerful enough to sink a trawler are rare.

3. Were there any warning signs of the gas bubble before it sank the trawler?

The study found that there were no obvious warning signs of the gas bubble before it sunk the trawler. The gas bubble was likely formed quickly and unexpectedly, leaving the crew of the trawler with little time to react.

4. Is this the first time a gas bubble has sunk a vessel?

No, there have been previous incidents where vessels have been sunk by gas bubbles. In 1984, a smaller fishing boat was sunk off the coast of Norway due to a gas bubble. However, it is still considered a rare occurrence.

5. What precautions can be taken to prevent similar incidents from happening in the future?

The study suggests that more research and monitoring of natural gas emissions in the ocean could help prevent future incidents. Additionally, vessels can install gas detection systems and avoid areas where gas seeps are known to occur.

Back