Proper mathematical treatments anywhere?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter Cinquero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematical
In summary, Daniel thinks that the second part of the conversation is standard, but he doesn't know for sure. He would be happy to do the derivation for you from the top of his head if you would just name the spin of the field.
Cinquero
I'm looking for proper mathematical treatments of:

1.) Formal (non-relativistic) scattering theory: construction of Moller operators from operator-valued Green's functions. How are these Green's functions defined? What's their exact use and interpretation? Why are there two of them?

2.) Derivation of the free propagator as the inverse of a differential operator. Zee derives in his book "QFT in a Nutshell" that quantity by looking at discretized fields and taking the continuum limes. Isn't there a proper derivation within the framework of functional analysis?

Could someone please give me some references at physics books covering such topics in a very rigorous and elegant mathematical manner, ie. in the form of definitions and theorems? I can't stand any more that notoriously bad habit of most physics authors to do all calculations without mentioning even the simplest mathematical theorems.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think J.R.Taylor [1] wrote the kind of book you need for 1).If you like a more mathematical approach,then help yourself with the 3-rd volume of Reed & Simon [2].

The second part is standard,i'm sure of it.I could do it for you from the top of my head,just name the spin of field...Did you try to look for it in P & S or Bailin & Love?

Daniel.

------------------------------------------------------
[1]J.R.Taylor,"Scattering Theory",J.Wiley,1972.
[2] M.Reed,B.Simon,"Methods of Mathematical Physics:Scattering Theory",VOL III,A.P.,1979.

Who are P & S?

Peskin & Schroeder,who else...?We're pretty accustomed to using acronyms for book authors,and sometimes even for books...:wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Peskin & Schroeder,who else...?
Of course. I was just somewhat confused by the fact that Amazon lists this book under Peskin, but not Schroeder...

P&S: they do the same thing as Zee does: they calculate things on a lattice and then take the continuum limes. It would be no problem for me to accept that as a rule of operation if they would not call it "functional integration" because I don't know of ANY mathematical definition of a functional integral... for example, I have some doubt that the measure for function spaces is in any way uniquely determined. I wonder if it is not an incident that the functional integration approach to perturbation theory works out good, may be an incident due to a symmetry in the functional variations of the Lagrangian in function space. Maybe we can't do perturbation theory for heavily perturbed systems because such systems heavily deviate from that symmetry.

Furthermore, the books of Reed and Simon look just great -- partly because I have nowhere found the notion of an operator-valued Green's function.

Sadly, I had no chance to have a look at the other two books, yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Thx a lot!

Last edited:

1. What is the importance of using proper mathematical treatments in scientific research?

Using proper mathematical treatments in scientific research allows for accurate and precise analysis of data, which is crucial in drawing reliable conclusions. It also helps to ensure that the research is replicable by other scientists.

2. What are some common mistakes scientists make when applying mathematical treatments?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect formulas or equations, not considering all relevant variables, and misinterpreting data. It is important for scientists to carefully review and validate their mathematical methods to avoid these errors.

3. How do you determine which mathematical treatments are appropriate for a particular research study?

The choice of mathematical treatments depends on the type of data being analyzed and the research question being addressed. Scientists must also consider the assumptions and limitations of each method before selecting the most appropriate one.

4. Are there any resources available for scientists to learn about proper mathematical treatments?

Yes, there are many resources available, including textbooks, online courses, and workshops. Scientists can also consult with experts in their field or collaborate with statisticians to ensure proper mathematical treatment in their research.

5. How can improper mathematical treatments affect the validity of a scientific study?

Improper mathematical treatments can lead to inaccurate results and conclusions, making the study less reliable. It can also make it difficult for other scientists to replicate the study or build upon its findings. Therefore, it is crucial to use proper mathematical treatments to ensure the validity of scientific research.