What is the process for publishing a math paper?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the process of publishing a paper in mathematics. The individual is seeking advice on finding the right journal for their paper and getting feedback from experienced mathematicians. They also mention their paper on set theory using non-classical logic and its main goal of developing a set theory with a universal set. They mention their abstract and the main theorems they have established in their paper.
phoenixthoth
I thought I'd post this under GD, but maybe there are some things specific to math papers that don't apply to other scholarly articles as well as things of other scholarly journals that don't apply to math ones.

I'm wondering how to go about publishing or even submitting a paper.

I'm fairly sure that apart from the research on the paper, one must be sure that no one has published an article or thesis on that exact subject. This much, I think I've accomplished.

I'm not sure that what I did was all 100% correct and I know I should know that. It seems okay to me but I was hoping :confused: that the editor would work with me since this is my first time and not reject me permanently for having a flawed work; maybe even tell me what to fix before I can submit it. Maybe I might as well keep dreaming on that regard.

I think the second step would be to find a journal with similar interests. I believe the Journal of Symbolic Logic would be the right journal for me, though there are definitely more than one out there where my paper would belong.

And what about arxiv.org? What's up with that?

I'm specifically looking for feedback from those who have successfully written and published papers before; I dunno, maybe mathwonk, matt grime, or hurkyl (in no order). Any feedback is definitely appreciated.

Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Before you submit your paper you should consider having some of your colleagues review your manuscript.

I unfortunately don't have any colleagues who'd be interested in reading it (I work at a 2-year school). I tried to email someone in the field. It would be really cool to get feedback off this paper just so I can try to submit a really good version.

Thanks for the feedback.

What subject is the paper on?

Werg22 said:
What subject is the paper on?
That would be helpful. I should have posted that at least on the off chance someone here would want to read my 7 (or so) page paper.

In short, it is a set theory using non-classical logic. Perhaps a not too popular field. It's pretty elementary though compared to what's out there. I tried to make it quite accessible for the non-logician (which is what I consider myself to be!).

I'll give my rough abstract which has gone through zero revision.

In this paper, I review a three-valued logic and develop semantics using this non-classical logic. The paper is written in binary logic so that modus ponens and other rules of inference will apply even if a sub-formula has the third truth value. The main goal is to develop a set theory with a universal set within the context of ternary logic. I accomplish that by showing relative consistency of the new set of axioms to standard ZFC. The new set of axioms is virtually the same as ZFC, except that a universal set axiom has been added as well as the foundation axiom dropped. Finally, I move towards a few theorems about the universal set. I show that it equals its powerset, that no "smaller" set's powerset equals the universal set, that sets which can be mapped onto their powerset must contain "fuzzy" sets, I illustrate how Russel's paradox is not a paradox, and I show how Cantor's diagonal argument does not apply to sets with fuzzy elements.

1. What is the process for publishing a math paper?

The process for publishing a math paper typically involves the following steps:

• 1. Conducting research and writing the paper.
  • 2. Formatting the paper according to the guidelines of the chosen journal or publication.
  • 3. Submitting the paper to the journal, which may involve a peer review process.
  • 4. Revising the paper based on feedback from reviewers.
  • 5. Final acceptance and publication of the paper.

2. How do I choose the right journal to submit my math paper to?

When choosing a journal to submit your math paper to, it is important to consider the following factors:

• 1. The scope and focus of the journal - make sure your paper fits within the journal's subject area.
  • 2. The reputation and impact factor of the journal.
  • 3. The submission guidelines and requirements.
  • 4. The length and format of the paper that the journal accepts.
  • 5. The publication timeline.

3. How long does it typically take to publish a math paper?

The time it takes to publish a math paper can vary greatly depending on the journal and the review process. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years for a paper to be published.

4. Do I need to have all co-authors' consent before submitting a math paper for publication?

Yes, it is important to have all co-authors' consent before submitting a math paper for publication. This is to ensure that all authors are in agreement with the content and have given permission for their names to be associated with the paper.

5. Are there any open access options for publishing a math paper?

Yes, there are open access options for publishing a math paper, which allow for the paper to be freely accessible to anyone without a subscription. These options may require a fee for publication, but can increase the visibility and impact of the paper.