Friction bicycle homework Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving friction and a bicyclist coasting down a hill. The value of the constant c is calculated, and the average force that must be applied to descend the hill at a certain speed is determined. The conversation also discusses using the mass of the cyclist and bicycle to find the correct value for c.
MellowOne
[SOLVED] Friction Problem

Homework Statement

A bicyclist can coast down a 5° hill at a constant 8.0 km/h. Assume the force of friction (air resistance) is proportional to the speed v so that Ffr = cv.

(a) Calculate the value of the constant c.
________ kg/s

(b) What is the average force that must be applied in order to descend the hill at 18 km/h? The mass of the cyclist plus bicycle is 85 kg.
________N

Homework Equations

Sigma F = ma
Ffr = cv

The Attempt at a Solution

First i converted my 8 km/hr into 2.22 m/s. Then i went into the parallel forces which are Ff and Fwx. The sum of their forces is equal to 0 because its acceleration is 0 so Ff is equal to Fwx and Fwx is equal to sin5 times mg which equlaed .854m. Then i set that equal to 2.22c because Ff also equal that. Now I'm stuck because I don't have mass. I tried writing out all units and canceling out so that on kg/s was left, but that didn't work out.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You correctly found that cv = mg · sin 5º . Go ahead and use the mass given for the cyclist in part (b); I think it's not intended to be used there exclusively. The "resistance" coefficient (largely due to air drag) will depend on the mass of the rider and bicycle; a different rider would have a different value for c.

When using the mass given in part b, the answer came out to be approx 1 kg/s which wasn't correct. Is there something I missed or another way to approach this problem.

MellowOne said:
When using the mass given in part b, the answer came out to be approx 1 kg/s which wasn't correct. Is there something I missed or another way to approach this problem.

I used what you set up and found

c = (85 kg) · (9.81 m/sec^2) · (sin 5º) / (2.22 m/sec) .

Did you omit something?

Yeah, I must have forgotten something cause I did it again and I got the right answer. Thanks a lot.

1. What is the concept of friction in a bicycle?

Friction is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come in contact and move against each other. In a bicycle, friction is present between the tires and the road surface, as well as between the various moving parts of the bike.

2. How does friction affect the performance of a bicycle?

Friction can have both positive and negative effects on a bicycle's performance. It helps to grip the tires to the road, allowing the rider to control the bike and turn corners. However, too much friction can slow down the bike and make it harder to pedal.

3. How can friction be reduced in a bicycle?

There are a few ways to reduce friction in a bicycle. One way is to keep the moving parts of the bike well lubricated, such as the chain and gears. Another way is to use smooth and well-inflated tires, as rough or under-inflated tires can increase friction. Additionally, using lightweight materials for the bike frame can reduce friction and make the bike easier to pedal.

4. What are some real-life examples of friction in a bicycle?

As mentioned earlier, friction is present in various parts of a bicycle, including between the tires and the road, and between the different moving components of the bike. Some real-life examples of friction in a bicycle include the sound of the brakes rubbing against the tires, the resistance felt when pedaling uphill, and the heat produced when braking.

5. How can understanding friction in a bicycle help improve its design?

Understanding the role of friction in a bicycle is crucial in designing a more efficient and high-performance bike. By reducing friction, the bike can be made more aerodynamic, allowing for faster speeds and better handling. Additionally, reducing friction can also improve the overall durability and lifespan of the bike's components.