Discovering General Relativity: My Journey at 50

In summary, jmatt has been reading through books on general relativity and tensor calculus to gain a better understanding of the theory. He is excited to ask questions and share his excitement with the community.
jmatt
Hello everyone,

I graduated with a bachelor's degree in physics from Rutgers College in 1981. I have had a great career in database design and have kept up with developments in physics mostly through authors like Stephen Hawkins and Brian Green. I have never lost my passion for physics.

As I approached 50 I decided to climb my intellectual Mt. Everest (no way I was going to climb the real thing!) and learn the mathematics required to really understand general relativity. I have been slogging through tensor calculus for about a year now and a lot of lights have turned on for me.

I am looking forward to searching these forums and asking some questions and sharing the excitement!

jmatt

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jmatt, welcome to PF!

And good luck climbing Everest. The view is great, but the trek can leave you dizzy :smile:

That's Stephen Hawking. *cringe*

Anyway, if "slogging" is how you describe it, then I can make a good guess what book you've been using...

If my guess is correct, you are probably using Misner, Thorne and Wheeler. I have to say, this book is the most tedious presentation of GR and differential geometry I have ever seen. They make all the math sound much more confusing than it really is.

A book I would highly recommend is Sean Carroll's. It will be more like taking the ski lift, comparatively. :)

Ben Niehoff said:
A book I would highly recommend is Sean Carroll's. It will be more like taking the ski lift, comparatively. :)

I second Space time and Geometry. That book is a godsend. It manages to remove that intimidating aura around Wald's book to boot.

Thanks for your advice and your welcome!

I clearly remember the physics library at Rutgers had the Misner, Thorne and Wheeler book back in 1980 when I was an undergrad. I thought it was the coolest thing I ever saw!

Actually I have “A First Course in General Relativity” by Bernard Schutz and lot’s web resources. Also reading “The Road to Reality” by Roger Penrose

I just ordered the Carrol book. Not cheap but I feel like I need at fresh Sherpa!

What's your favorite fish, jmatt?

hagfish because it’s so wonderfully disgusting

*slaps jmatt with a disgusting hagfish*

http://files.myopera.com/Chyren/files/fishSlap1a.gif [Broken]

Anyway, good luck on your journey and I hope you'll learn a lot here!

Last edited by a moderator:
jmatt said:
hagfish because it’s so wonderfully disgusting

I hope micromass didn't slap you too hard for your initiation.

Welcome to Physics Forums.

Welcome jmatt! I hope you enjoy your stay.

Hey, I just got hit with fish slime... eww... welcome jmat, phtooey, phtooey...
Your first duty is to post on your favorite pastime, hopefully it is fishing...

Rhody... :tongue:

wow i never knew getting hit by a hagfish could be so ... welcoming.

thanks everyone!

favorite pastime? French red wine and flailing on the electric guitar.

The Carrol book arrived a couple of weeks ago and I have just now dived in. Wow, wonderful writing at exactly the level i craved. Thanks for the recommendations!

As an aside, I wanted to say what a joy a well made, written and illustrated physical book is. I am not a Luddite, eBooks are useful and fill a need but the physical feel of a beautiful book will never be obsolete (I hope)!

What is "Discovering General Relativity: My Journey at 50" about?

"Discovering General Relativity: My Journey at 50" is a book written by a physicist, detailing his personal journey of understanding and discovering the theory of general relativity at the age of 50.

Who is the author of "Discovering General Relativity: My Journey at 50"?

The author of "Discovering General Relativity: My Journey at 50" is a physicist who has dedicated his career to studying and understanding the theory of general relativity. He shares his personal experiences and insights in this book.

Why is the theory of general relativity important?

The theory of general relativity is important because it provides a fundamental understanding of gravity and how it affects the fabric of space-time. It has been proven to be incredibly accurate and is the basis for many modern technologies, such as GPS systems.

Is "Discovering General Relativity: My Journey at 50" accessible to non-scientists?

Yes, "Discovering General Relativity: My Journey at 50" is written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. The author uses simple language and examples to explain complex concepts, making it an enjoyable read for anyone interested in science.

What can readers expect to learn from "Discovering General Relativity: My Journey at 50"?

Readers can expect to learn about the history of the theory of general relativity, the key concepts and equations involved, and the author's personal journey of understanding and discovery. They will also gain a deeper appreciation for the beauty and complexity of this fundamental theory.