Definition of species under attack?

• Thread starter nomadreid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definition
In summary, the concept of "species" in biology is a fuzzy one and can be interpreted in different ways. One definition is based on the ability to interbreed and produce viable offspring, but there are exceptions and gray areas. Recent studies have shown evidence of interbreeding between Neanderthals and modern humans, suggesting they may not have been a completely separate species. The amount of Neanderthal DNA found in modern Europeans supports this idea, as well as the theory that Neanderthals were outcompeted by modern humans rather than being a distinct species.
nomadreid
Gold Member
I learned that two sexual organisms are considered different species when no two organisms having their respective DNA structures could interbreed to produce viable offspring. Put another way, when looking it up, I find the definition:
A single evolutionary lineage of organisms within which genes can be shared, and that maintains its integrity with respect to other lineages through both time and space.
But then I read that:
(a) Neanderthal interbred with homo sapiens to give part of today's modern man
(b) Neanderthals is a different species from homo sapiens.
Hence, the above definitions don't seem to hold. Can someone correct these definitions in light of this?

Biology news on Phys.org
Thank you for your reply and the links, atyy.
If I understand correctly (no guarantee of that), all the links you sent all roughly say that it is a fuzzy area:
(1) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1692208/pdf/9533126.pdf leans towards "Biological Species Concept", similar to my rough definitions but nuanced due to unusual cases,
(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC33696/ leans more towards a phylogenetic interpretation of species whereby physical features are the primary criteria which are of course influenced by genetic isolation
(3) http://www.pnas.org/content/96/13/7117.long says that whichever concept you take, it is still not clear whether the Neanderthals were indeed a separate species.

nomadreid said:
I learned that two sexual organisms are considered different species when no two organisms having their respective DNA structures could interbreed to produce viable offspring. Put another way, when looking it up, I find the definition:
Perhaps you have heard of ring specieshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ring_species

(a) Neanderthal interbred with homo sapiens to give part of today's modern man
(b) Neanderthals is a different species from homo sapiens.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neanderthal#Genome

On 16 November 2006, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory issued a press release suggesting Neanderthals and ancient humans probably did not interbreed.[69] Edward M. Rubin, director of the U.S. Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and the Joint Genome Institute (JGI), sequenced a fraction (0.00002) of genomic nuclear DNA (nDNA) from a 38,000-year-old Vindia Neanderthal femur. They calculated the common ancestor to be about 353,000 years ago, and a complete separation of the ancestors of the species about 188,000 years ago.[70]

Their results show the genomes of modern humans and Neanderthals are at least 99.5% identical, but despite this genetic similarity, and despite the two species having coexisted in the same geographic region for thousands of years, Rubin and his team did not find any evidence of any significant crossbreeding between the two. Rubin said, "While unable to definitively conclude that interbreeding between the two species of humans did not occur, analysis of the nuclear DNA from the Neanderthal suggests the low likelihood of it having occurred at any appreciable level

Thanks, atyy. Very interesting article.
thorium 1010: very interesting about ring species; no, I hadn't known.
As far as the other Wiki article you cited, the one you quoted, read a bit further down, where it says
However, an analysis of a first draft of the Neanderthal genome by the same team released in May 2010 indicates interbreeding may have occurred.
That cleared the way for the more recent articles (such as the article that atyy just cited) which continue to test the assumption that interbreeding may have occurred.

nomadreid said:
Thanks, atyy. Very interesting article.
As far as the other Wiki article you cited, the one you quoted, read a bit further down, where it says

That cleared the way nfor the more recent articles (such as the article that atyy just cited) which continue to test the assumptio that interbreeding may have occurred.

Sure, but would you call something 99.5% similar to us, a different species ? Thats the important question, where would draw the line for species ?

Species in biology is somewhat of a grey area, it is not black and white as we think it is.

thorium1010 said:
Sure, but would you call something 99.5% similar to us, a different species ? Thats the important question, where would draw the line for species ?

Species in biology is somewhat of a grey area, it is not black and white as we think it is.

Indeed, that was my original question, and the answers showed me that it is indeed a fuzzy concept.

I think the fact that there is small amounts of Neanderthal DNA in modern Europeans proves that Neanderthal were not a different species in the classic sense of "species".

I think what happened was that there was a minor amount of inner breading but mostly the Neanderthal were out competed. In those days, 30K yeas ago, I think the Neanderthal population would have been equilibrium with the food supply. Then come these other guys who like to eat the same food. We modern humans eat their food so they remained in equilibrium with a shrink food supply. And I'm sure there was a very rare hybrid born now and then.

1. What is the definition of a species under attack?

A species under attack refers to a group of organisms that are facing a significant threat to their survival and reproduction. This can be due to various factors such as habitat loss, climate change, pollution, or overexploitation by humans.

2. How do scientists determine if a species is under attack?

Scientists use various methods to determine if a species is under attack. This can include population surveys, genetic studies, and monitoring of habitat changes. They also consider factors such as the species' reproductive success, distribution, and trends in population size over time.

3. What are the consequences of a species being under attack?

The consequences of a species being under attack can be severe. It can lead to a decline in population size, loss of genetic diversity, and ultimately extinction. This can also have ripple effects on the ecosystem, as many species are interconnected and rely on each other for survival.

4. How can we help protect species under attack?

There are various ways we can help protect species under attack. Some actions we can take include reducing our carbon footprint, supporting conservation efforts, and advocating for policies that protect endangered species. We can also make more sustainable choices in our daily lives, such as using renewable energy and reducing our consumption of single-use plastics.

5. Is it possible for a species under attack to recover?

Yes, it is possible for a species under attack to recover. However, it requires a collective effort from individuals, governments, and organizations to address the factors causing the species' decline. This can include habitat restoration, captive breeding programs, and implementing protective measures to reduce threats to the species.