by jim mcnamara
Tags: neanderthals, tool, view
Share this thread:
jim mcnamara
Aug13-13, 07:40 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,381
Neandertals made the first specialized bone tools in Europe (abstract)
http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2013/08/08/1302730110

The earliest bone tool so far found in Europe predates the time when modern humans began replacing Neanderthals.

(IMO) The interesting aspect of this is that anthropologists frequently have a Homo sapiens-centric view of new technologies, i.e., modern humans made new innovations before they showed up in Neanderthal sites.

If brain size correlates to cognitive power in human species, then H. neanderthalensis was no dummy.

"Neanderthal Brain Size at Birth Sheds Light on Human Evolution". National Geographic. 2008-09-09. (cannot get to original). Neanderthal brain size was the same as modern humans at birth, adult Neanderthals had on average larger brains.
Phys.Org News Partner Social sciences news on Phys.org
Decoding ethnic labels
Local education politics 'far from dead'
First grade reading suffers in segregated schools
turbo
Aug13-13, 07:59 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Thanks, Jim.

I have been following this since the story first came out. The notion that Neandertals might have developed the first bone tools to polish and densify hides is not a stretch. The discovery of such tools in a Neandertal site is encouraging to me because I think that Neandertals have been given short shrift. I wonder how many other things that they could have taught to the newcomers?
Greg Bernhardt
Aug15-13, 10:21 AM
Admin
P: 9,334
Considering the vast array of animals that use "tools", I wouldn't at all be surprised if even earlier humanoid species used specialized tools. Question is whether we will find them.

HallsofIvy
Aug15-13, 01:12 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,353
New view on Neanderthals and tool use

Yes, there are many animals that use tools (your link does not mention chimpanzees using grass or straws to pull ants and termites out of holes which is another example) but I believe that the idea that Neandertals actually shaped tools for specific use would be use.)
Evo
Aug22-13, 05:28 PM
Mentor
P: 26,484
Nice link Greg, yes the mention of chimps using tools to gather ants is there. None of the videos work for me, I just keep getting the advertisements over and over.

Register to reply