Register to reply

Can Luminosity Give You a Star's Age?

by chefskitten
Tags: luminosity, star
Share this thread:
chefskitten
Oct25-13, 09:33 PM
P: 2
You find two yellow stars at the same distance (but not in a binary system!). They have the same mass, but one is much more luminous than the other.
Which one is older?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Young binary star system may form planets with weird and wild orbits
Evidence of a local hot bubble carved by a supernova
Astronomers measure weight of galaxies, expansion of universe
howabout1337
Oct26-13, 10:58 AM
P: 21
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_age_estimation:
"As stars grow older, their luminosity increases at an appreciable rate"

So I would assume the more luminous one.
chefskitten
Oct27-13, 08:54 PM
P: 2
Thanks for your input howabout1337! That's what I was thinking, just wanted some confirmation

phinds
Oct27-13, 09:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,127
Can Luminosity Give You a Star's Age?

I don't get it. How would you tell an old modest-sized star from a large younger star, both of which have the same luminosity?
Chronos
Oct27-13, 10:46 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,387
The luminosity of a star is strongly dependent on mass, which is known as the mass-luminosity relationship. While the luminosity of a star does increase somewhat with age, the difference is small until it leaves the main sequence. It would be a wildly unreliable way to determine the age of a star.
Drakkith
Oct28-13, 01:35 AM
Mentor
P: 11,601
Quote Quote by phinds View Post
I don't get it. How would you tell an old modest-sized star from a large younger star, both of which have the same luminosity?
The more massive one has a different spectrum. It will be hotter, even if their luminosity is the same.
Drakkith
Oct28-13, 01:37 AM
Mentor
P: 11,601
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
The luminosity of a star is strongly dependent on mass, which is known as the mass-luminosity relationship. While the luminosity of a star does increase somewhat with age, the difference is small until it leaves the main sequence. It would be a wildly unreliable way to determine the age of a star.
Do you know if this graph is accurate? This seems to be a pretty big change.
From here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun#Main_sequence

Vanadium 50
Oct28-13, 08:16 PM
Mentor
P: 16,192
It's at least approximately right. When I studied these things, the sun went off the main sequence a little sooner and more quickly (9.1 BY), but there's a factor of ~2 or so luminosity increase over the course of the main sequence.
Chronos
Oct28-13, 10:00 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,387
When the sun first entered the main sequence, it was about 70% of its current luminosity. Over the next 4.5 billion years, it's luminosity is expected to increase by about 67%. I do not consider that enough of a luminosity difference to be useful to estimate the age of a star.

Register to reply