3 Cars Meets Newtons Second Law

In summary, the conversation discusses the physics of a car accident and how different forces can affect the outcome. The concept of f=ma is mentioned in relation to the impact of car #3 hitting car #2 and car #2 hitting car #1. The question of how this is related to an egg drop experiment is also brought up. Additionally, the concept of a crumple zone in cars is mentioned and its role in absorbing force during an impact. The potential for bumpers and airbags to mitigate the impact is also discussed.
valeriee
This is not a homework problem - I am trying to understand the physics of something that happened to me. Scenario: two cars are stopped at a red light. Car #1 in front, and behind it is car #2. Car #3 comes up from behind, does not stop, and hits car 2, and car 2 in turn hits car 1. I am guessing that #3 hitting #2 follows f=ma. But what happens when car #1 is thrown into the mix? I am again guessing that car #1 is following the f=ma from the hit from car #2, but what happens to the forces put on #2 when it is hit from behind, then also gets the force from the impact from the front (from hitting car #1)? Does car #2 just end up getting f=ma twice, once from behind and once from the front? How is this related to the classic egg drop experiment, when you drop the egg on a pillow it doesn't crack but you drop in on a cement floor and it breaks?
And one other thing for all you car experts - I've heard there is something called a crumple zone where part of the force of the impact is distributed through the body of the car. How much force is this able to absorb - a lot? A little?

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to the Forum! Yes it will get bashed up front and rear. How it relates to an egg dropped on a cushion depends on how much energy can be lost in the collision through processes other than the cars crumpling. So the bumpers might give way first and save the chassis. Also If you have an airbag it will help to save your head shell (skull) in the impact from the rear and the headrest will do the same in the impact to the front.

What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law states that the force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.

How does Newton's Second Law apply to 3 cars meeting?

In this scenario, each car exerts a force on the other cars when they collide. According to Newton's Second Law, the magnitude of this force is directly proportional to the mass of the car and the acceleration it experiences.

What is the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration in this situation?

The force is equal to the mass of the car multiplied by its acceleration. This means that the heavier the car and the faster it is accelerating, the greater the force it will exert on the other cars.

What happens if one of the cars has a different mass or acceleration?

If one of the cars has a significantly greater mass or acceleration than the others, it will exert a greater force on the other cars during the collision. This can result in more damage to the other cars and potentially alter the outcome of the collision.

How does the speed of the cars affect Newton's Second Law?

The speed of the cars does not directly affect Newton's Second Law, as it only considers mass and acceleration. However, the speed of the cars can indirectly impact the force exerted during the collision, as it is a factor in determining the acceleration of the cars.