Can aluminum foil block the sun's UVA rays?

In summary: There seems to be some disagreement on whether or not aluminum foil can effectively block UVA radiation. Some say it can, while others say that fluorescent light and ceiling light emit enough UVA radiation to negate any benefits that aluminum foil may provide. However, it is still recommended that people use sunscreen when outside, as sunscreen offers better protection against the sun's harmful rays.
Solid Snake
Hello everyone. I was just curious if aluminum foil could block the sun's UVA rays. I have my home office and the sun always gets in and hits me. I know sunlight can cause early photoaging and cancers, so I want to block out as much UVA rays as possible. I do wear sunscreen, but I prefer blocking it another way while I'm in my home office. Wearing sunscreen in my house all day is not my cup of tea (it dries me). I'm planning on making a sort of little shield made of Aluminum Foil that I can put right next to my desk, and angle it so that it protects me from the sun's UVA rays.

I'm not a physics person and I work in statistics, so I forgot most high school physics. So I basically would love to know if Aluminum Foil is enough to block away the sun's UVA rays? If not, then what else could block them? Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi there solid snake

if you cannot see through ( ie its opaque) the Al foil then it will stop UV
there are window filter films available that allow visible light whilst substantially filtering UV
see this link

cheers
Dave

davenn said:
hi there solid snake

if you cannot see through ( ie its opaque) the Al foil then it will stop UV
there are window filter films available that allow visible light whilst substantially filtering UV
see this link

cheers
Dave

Thanks. It makes sense. Now that you mention it, I do remember learning that in high school (at least what an opaque can and can't do). This is a relief.

But this sparks another question. What about UVA rays from ceiling light? I remember someone mentioning that ceiling light gives off a ton of dangerous UVA radiation, and could have similar affects as the sun, but I've heard others tell me it's nonsense.

Well thank you very much. I'm off to construct my shield!

The white plastic fittings and white plastic starter case, with time, turn yellow on their surfaces facing the light from ceiling fluros, so this demonstrates that there is some UV radiated by these tubes. The wavelengths, and relative intensity, are not discernible without proper tests.

You won't be able to get a tan indoors, but UVA is always present to some degree outside since, unlike UVB, it is not blocked by the ozone layer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_tanning

Blocking out all UVA is not healthy since humans need some exposure to UVA to generate vitamin D.

Solid Snake said:
Thanks. It makes sense. Now that you mention it, I do remember learning that in high school (at least what an opaque can and can't do). This is a relief.

But this sparks another question. What about UVA rays from ceiling light? I remember someone mentioning that ceiling light gives off a ton of dangerous UVA radiation, and could have similar affects as the sun, but I've heard others tell me it's nonsense.

Well thank you very much. I'm off to construct my shield!

Fluorescent lights do emit a small amount of UVA's (Not enough to worry about), Incandescent lights and LED lights emit no UV's at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is UVA radiation and why is it harmful?

UVA radiation is a type of ultraviolet radiation that is emitted by the sun. It is harmful because it can penetrate deep into the skin and cause damage to cells, leading to premature aging and an increased risk of skin cancer.

Can aluminum foil block UVA rays?

Yes, aluminum foil can block UVA rays. It is a highly reflective material, meaning that it can reflect a significant amount of the UVA radiation that hits it.

How effective is aluminum foil at blocking UVA rays?

The effectiveness of aluminum foil at blocking UVA rays depends on the thickness and quality of the foil. Thicker, higher quality foil will be more effective at blocking UVA rays than thin or low-quality foil.

Is aluminum foil a safe and practical option for sun protection?

While aluminum foil can provide some protection against UVA rays, it is not a practical option for sun protection. It can be cumbersome to use and can easily tear or become dislodged, leaving skin exposed to the sun's harmful rays.

Can aluminum foil be used as a substitute for sunscreen?

No, aluminum foil should not be used as a substitute for sunscreen. Sunscreen is specifically designed to protect the skin from UVA and UVB rays, while aluminum foil only provides limited protection against UVA rays. It is important to use sunscreen in conjunction with other forms of sun protection, such as wearing protective clothing and seeking shade.