Register to reply

Can aluminum foil block the sun's UVA rays?

by Solid Snake
Tags: aluminum, block, foil, rays, uva rays
Share this thread:
Solid Snake
Mar13-14, 02:13 AM
P: 15
Hello everyone. I was just curious if aluminum foil could block the sun's UVA rays. I have my home office and the sun always gets in and hits me. I know sunlight can cause early photoaging and cancers, so I want to block out as much UVA rays as possible. I do wear sunscreen, but I prefer blocking it another way while I'm in my home office. Wearing sunscreen in my house all day is not my cup of tea (it dries me). I'm planning on making a sort of little shield made of Aluminum Foil that I can put right next to my desk, and angle it so that it protects me from the sun's UVA rays.

I'm not a physics person and I work in statistics, so I forgot most high school physics. So I basically would love to know if Aluminum Foil is enough to block away the sun's UVA rays??? If not, then what else could block them??? Thank you all.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Mapping the optimal route between two quantum states
Spin-based electronics: New material successfully tested
Verifying the future of quantum computing
davenn
Mar13-14, 02:54 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,509
hi there solid snake

if you cannot see through ( ie its opaque) the Al foil then it will stop UV
there are window filter films available that allow visible light whilst substantially filtering UV
see this link

cheers
Dave
Solid Snake
Mar13-14, 03:28 AM
P: 15
Quote Quote by davenn View Post
hi there solid snake

if you cannot see through ( ie its opaque) the Al foil then it will stop UV
there are window filter films available that allow visible light whilst substantially filtering UV
see this link

cheers
Dave
Thanks. It makes sense. Now that you mention it, I do remember learning that in high school (at least what an opaque can and can't do). This is a relief.

But this sparks another question. What about UVA rays from ceiling light??? I remember someone mentioning that ceiling light gives off a ton of dangerous UVA radiation, and could have similar affects as the sun, but I've heard others tell me it's nonsense.

Well thank you very much. I'm off to construct my shield!!!!

NascentOxygen
Mar13-14, 04:01 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,165
Can aluminum foil block the sun's UVA rays?

The white plastic fittings and white plastic starter case, with time, turn yellow on their surfaces facing the light from ceiling fluros, so this demonstrates that there is some UV radiated by these tubes. The wavelengths, and relative intensity, are not discernible without proper tests.
SteamKing
Mar13-14, 08:03 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,334
You won't be able to get a tan indoors, but UVA is always present to some degree outside since, unlike UVB, it is not blocked by the ozone layer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_tanning

Blocking out all UVA is not healthy since humans need some exposure to UVA to generate vitamin D.
dauto
Mar13-14, 08:22 AM
Thanks
P: 1,948
Quote Quote by Solid Snake View Post
Thanks. It makes sense. Now that you mention it, I do remember learning that in high school (at least what an opaque can and can't do). This is a relief.

But this sparks another question. What about UVA rays from ceiling light??? I remember someone mentioning that ceiling light gives off a ton of dangerous UVA radiation, and could have similar affects as the sun, but I've heard others tell me it's nonsense.

Well thank you very much. I'm off to construct my shield!!!!
Fluorescent lights do emit a small amount of UVA's (Not enough to worry about), Incandescent lights and LED lights emit no UV's at all.
CWatters
Mar13-14, 09:46 AM
P: 3,109
Don't forget sunlight is good for you as well. It's the main source of Vit D.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhea...-sunlight.aspx

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/10...-diseases.html

Register to reply