Acceleration After Applied Force is Stopped?

In summary, the conversation discusses the puzzling phenomenon of a truck continuing to climb in speed after the clutch is put in on flat ground or a slight uphill. The explanation behind this is that the acceleration cannot abruptly go from 5 ft/s2 to 0, so it gradually decreases and causes the velocity to still increase slowly. The speedometer also plays a role in displaying a decaying average of the most recent measured values, which can make it seem like the truck is still accelerating even though it is not.
Guy
I have a question that has been puzzling me for a while.

When I drive my truck and accelerate hard until 25 mph then put the clutch into roll freely, the truck will climb a few more mph before beginning to slow down. This is on flat ground or even a slight uphill.

The way I see it is as follows. Say acceleration of the truck is 5 ft/s2 (random number). Once the clutch is in the force from the engine is now 0, and therefore acceleration should be 0 unless there is another force pushing the truck forward. However in order to be continuous, acceleration cannot jump from 5 to 0, and will have to decrease continuously. While it is decreasing it is still positive and will cause velocity to climb slowly.

Can anyone explain the physics behind this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that you are watching the speedometer to determine whether you are speeding up or slowing down.

In order to smooth out the readings so that the needle (or the digits) do not vary wildly, the number that is displayed will be some kind of decaying average of the most recent measured values.

As long as your current speed is still higher than the currently displayed average, that average will still be going up.

So its is not continuing to accelerate. Thanks for the answer that has bothered me for a while now!

What is acceleration after an applied force is stopped?

Acceleration after an applied force is stopped refers to the change in velocity of an object after a force has been applied and then removed. It is a measure of how quickly or slowly an object is speeding up or slowing down.

How is acceleration after an applied force is stopped calculated?

To calculate acceleration after an applied force is stopped, you need to know the change in velocity and the time it takes for the force to be applied and then removed. The formula for acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What factors can affect acceleration after an applied force is stopped?

There are several factors that can affect acceleration after an applied force is stopped, including the mass of the object, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the type of surface the object is on. These factors can change the acceleration of an object and how quickly it comes to a stop.

Can an object have a negative acceleration after an applied force is stopped?

Yes, an object can have a negative acceleration after an applied force is stopped. This means that the object is slowing down in the direction of the applied force. For example, if an object is moving to the right and a force is applied to the left, the object will have a negative acceleration as it slows down in the opposite direction of its motion.

How does friction affect acceleration after an applied force is stopped?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and it can affect acceleration after an applied force is stopped. Friction can slow down the acceleration of an object as it comes to a stop, and it can also change the direction of the object's motion. The type and amount of friction present can impact the final acceleration of the object after the force is removed.